• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Richards William

bartman1958

Brummie babby
Private 14175 William Richards was a member of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry who was killed in the Battle of Ypres in September 1917. He is commemorated in the Tyne Cot Cemetry in Belgium.

He was born in South Wales and in 1901 lived in Tylorstown in Glamorgan, where he is ten years old on the Census.

We have dug up Williams First World War British Service Medal on our allotment site in Great Barr, Birmingham. The medal must have been presented postumously to his family who may have moved to the Midlands like many other Welsh families between and after the World Wars. We would like to return the medal to any relative.

I have made all the usual enquiries to trace any living family relative but drawn a blank. Can any person assist? Williams parents were called John and Margaret and lived at 13 Hendrafadog Street, Tylors Town at the time of the 1901 Census.

William Richards

As only surnames not christian names are given in this Warwickshire family historycontact list it may have no connection at all to the Richards family you are looking for, but it is worth a look.

The Warwickshire surnames list (Genuki) has quite a long list of Richards surnames only and an e-mail address for the person looking for information.

Some of the contact details may be out of date but there is one entry in particular looking for a Richards family c1926 in Great Barr which has an address in Edgbaston Birmingham and it may be worth a look.

This is the link (I have tried this link and the link seems to have shortened itself down in the posting and gives you the whole index alphabetically from Abbott, there should be a search facility but if you get stuck let me know)

https://www.ecriteria.net/LinkSearchResult.asp?DBName=WarwickshireSurnamesList

Last edited:
Back