• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Richards Of Aston Pork Butchers

gerry taylor

knowlegable brummie
Hi! My father was Harry Taylor and he was the manager of a Pork Butchers that was on the corner of Bracebridge Street and High Street Aston. it then became Farr & Smith i believe. Does anyone remember the shop?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jerry:
My mother used to buy meat from that shop quite often as she worked for Sun Cycle in Aston Brook. This would be in the l950's. It's interesting that the shop became Farr & Smith. I remember a butcher's shop in the Witton Road/Trinity Road run by a Mr. Farr. I went to Sunday School with Sandra Farr in Erdington and Mr. Farr used to drive us to the Trinity Road shop after Sunday School just to check up on it.

The only one I remember is Thompson's on Aston Cross with I understand from my mom its own slaughterhouse behind the shop

I remember Richards the Pork Butchers very well. As kids in the mid to late 1940s it was always an event to see the pigs downloaded from the lorries, I don't think we thought it through as to their eventual end. Occasionally one or more of the pigs would make a dash for it and there would be great excitement as the delivery men would try to round them up, one time a pig ran quite a distance up Newtown Row towards town.

In the 1960s it closed as a butchers and Ray Sketchley turned the premises into a mini supermarket, one of my cousins worked for him, and when they started to redevelop Aston and build Newtown Shopping Centre - my partner Ray had to move from next door to the garage (by the market) to a small shop to the side of Sketchleys and had his barber shop there for a few years before moving into the new shopping centre, firstly above Dillons newsagents and then next door to Sainsburys in what had started off as Collis TV & Radio Shop. Many memories of those days.

I remember Richards the Butchers and later the change to Ray Sketchleys shop. Ray had previously started with a small greengrocers at the other end of Bracebridge St (where I lived) at the corner of an opening just up from Miller Street. On the other corner of the opening was the pawn shop.

Dave, Sketchleys also had a greengrocers shop in Church Lane, Aston, probably Ray's parents, I knew his sister Jean as she went to school with my ex-husband and we would see her at dances and other social occasions when we were teenagers in the 1950s.

HI SYLV;
Yes I Also Remember Daves Shop Down Church Lane Around That Time
I Would Just Like To Mention To Cornwall Col , That Thompsons
The Butchers Of Aston , That There Slaughter House Was Along On The
Lichfield Rd , And Not

Re: Richards Of Aston Pork Butchers - other butchers in the area

I wonder if anyone knew of my uncle Arthur Hack who ran a butchers at 64 High Street, Aston, around 1960. I'm afraid he met his end in the back of the shop when he was only about 50 around the mid 1960s. I'm just curious to know if anyone knew him or his family as I didn't know them at all and I am just piecing together the family tree. Thanks, Anton.

Astonian when would that have been in church road Aston?. My mom used to take me shopping there. Jean.

Thanks Dave, the Oil & Colour shop opposite and on the fork Bracebridge Street the Café.:)

Alf, the shop you mentioned was Lamb's it sold paints, putty etc., it was I suppose an early DIY shop. Anyone notice Miller's works in the distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could anyone help with regards to Church lane and a butchers and greengrocers shop Aston church end. Was their name Spurriers?. They adopted a girl called Carol and lived in village road. Jean.

Dave I am sorry for not answeereing your question the other night but I think we have different shops in mind. Mine was the first and second shop in Church lane going from the church end. Jean.

Hi,saw your message about Richards the butchers my mom used to work for Mr Farr.Was your dad manager when Mr Farr owned the business.The person who answered before mentioning about the pig escaping towards the city i have heard many times from my mom as this was the time she was there.If you want i can talk to her and get more details.

Hello Anton, You are definitely talking about my uncle Arthur and unfortunately, I found my uncle that morning as I worked for him as a butcher's boy! I have just signed on today and saw your request for information. My aunt Ada, who was married to uncle Arthur, is also deceased but their two daughters, Christine and Wendy, are living in the Birmingham area. I have a multitude of happy memories of my years working for Arthur both part time and full time! Also all the customers on my bike delivery round - too much to include this time. Hope this is of some help to your search. Cheers, Antony.

dear Anton, The other day i received a message from the forum from you regarding your Uncle Arthur.I dont know if this came to me by mistake.I was curious cause my mom worked at Richards.Was it another butchers you refer to.My mom was at richards 1934 til she had to go into the factory for the war effort.

my Dad was Harold Farr who owned the shop befor we came to Canada, i have a picture of it,
i don't remember your dad? i was to young i guess, i do remember the shop though and the back where they killed the pigs ..cheers

I remember Richards the Butchers and later the change to Ray Sketchleys shop. Ray had previously started with a small greengrocers at the other end of Bracebridge St (where I lived) at the corner of an opening just up from Miller Street. On the other corner of the opening was the pawn shop.
Brenda Sketchley was in my class at Elkington Street and I am still in touch with her. Are there any photos of the shop.

I remember Richards the Pork Butchers very well. As kids in the mid to late 1940s it was always an event to see the pigs downloaded from the lorries, I don't think we thought it through as to their eventual end. Occasionally one or more of the pigs would make a dash for it and there would be great excitement as the delivery men would try to round them up, one time a pig ran quite a distance up Newtown Row towards town.
I have now, what are bad memories of the pigs arriving at Richards...they had a pen in Aston Brook St, where they were kept until ready for slaughter. As they were coming down the ramp from the lorry, me & all my mates would be whacking them with sticks to make them squeal. I am a vegetarian for more than 15 years now and my love of animals is stronger than ever. I still have a hard time coming to terms with my behavior at that time.
Dave A

Back