• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Richard Wheatley & Son/ Ltd

flyboxfan

Brummie babby
I am trying to trace the history of Richard Wheatley and Son, later Richard Wheatley Ltd. They had premises at 93 Spencer Street, 30 Hockley Street, and 90/96 Constitution Hill before moving to Walsall and Malvern. They were a leather work and fishing tackle company which started in 1860. The novelty and leather work business disappeared around 1966/8 but the fishing tackle is still going. Soon to celebrate it's 150 year anniversary. They are as far as I know it is the oldest continuous makers of fishing tackle in the country.

I would be grateful to find out anything however small to add to the history of this iconic company whose products sold all over the world. You can find most of what we know about the Company's history on the museum website www.richardwheatleymuseum.org

Please help me if you can with any snippet however small (or large). I am keen to find photographs and details of the staff, factories, products made or anythingelse that will help me tell the story.

I can also be contacted through the museum website

Thank you to Eaton Sun. Following his leads I found out a load more about Richard Wheatley & Son including new employees and factory addresses. I found out more about Willmott and Wheatley and another trading name The Wheatley Case Company. :D:D:D

If you can help further please do

The Wheatley Case Co.
Does anyone know anything about this Company, which operated in Constitution Hill and made cases for the jewellery trade and was a subsidiary of Richard Wheatley Ltd the fishing tackle makers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
HI THERE ;
If i am not mistaking this name. i do beleive they later became coffin makers for the funeral
arrangers [ under takers ] in brum ; as well. as at the constution hill along with
there own under taking bussiness at summer hill which was next to the old nurses home
just before powell street which was more or less across from the ice rink at summer hill
way back in the forties onwards to my knowledge it could be even earlier
when in them days there was rows of shops and busy at spring hill with our dear old bill langdon
the fore father of langdons bath rooms where once upon a time there was a old fire place with
some heating system built into it ;way , way back before i was born i think it was
and our lovely lynn did post a picture of it on the forem a very long time agoasking ; for suggestions on what it was and where from and i told people it was from bills old shop and the picture she would have required
and i stated it was orinional in the sunday mercury around the 1956-7 issue;
but any way getting back on track regarding wheatlys .yes i do beleive i am right
so if any body can shed more light on it .-it would be great
if i should be wrong ; i stand to be corrected ; i also do remenmber the premise you speak about down constitution ; best wishes to you all ;;;; Astonian ;;

Wheatley the funeral director was Nathaniel Wheatley and came from Hinckley originally, Richard Wheatley's family (my maternal line) came from Twycross.Leics.

hi mikeflan
have you any family connections to the wheatley family that was in st marks street ladywood birmingham

Hi Astonian,
What year would you be talking of?? it's strange that my mother lived around there as did most of my maternal family, so there may be a possibility.

Mike

hi mike

the earliest i recall them is in the forties and very early fifties and there was two of the the kids that went to steward street infants and junior
i think the christian names of each or one of neal and pauline cannot to be to sure but they livd in the bottom end of big st marks street next to wrights the cleaners
almost facing the horse trough and when you crossed over to the other side you was walking what was small st marks street and around that period the church was still in the little st marks st hence st marks church but continue along the rd you was facing the office and yard oof wheatlys the under takers where they was making coffins there at the side yard daily
and the office on the front which was summer hill best wishes astonion

Hi Astonian,

I fear they are not my Wheatley line, and my folks were gone from Ladywood in about 1934 off to Selly Oak, I felt I had tracked most of my maternal Wheatleys of the time but one never can tell, although Nathaniel Wheatley was also from Leicestershire I haven't come across a link with my Wheatley blood line as yet but who knows???

Richard Wheatley (the owner of the RW & Son factory) & family all went to live in Handsworth and surrounding area way back to the best of my research.

Regards..

Mike

G'day from Australia,
My name is Bob Harrison and I went and worked at Wheatley and Son's Coffin makers. I was about 14 years of age at the time. I remember the father and his two sons who managed the business, I believe one of the son's was named Harold, who was the older of the two sons. My father also worked at the old factory. The building was so old that the stone step's leading up to thee coffin making rooms were nearly worn smooth. One had to be careful when carrying a finished coffin to the lower floor, where the staining and polishing was done.
On the coffin making floor worked a small Chinese man who made the metal coffins for the deceased who were to be shipped overseas. He did not use any tools, but used his thumbs to bend the steel over steel rods. He had done this for many years, that his thumbs were bent at right angles to his other fingers. When old Mr Wheatley died, he was presented with Mr Wheatley's pocket watch for his long service.
My father also worked there and when he died Wheatley's provided a free service for my father. I left shortly after to join the North Staffordshire Regimental Band.

Hope this has been of some help.
Regards,

Robert

G'day from Australia,
My name is Bob Harrison and I went and worked at Wheatley and Son's Coffin makers. I was about 14 years of age at the time. I remember the father and his two sons who managed the business, I believe one of the son's was named Harold, who was the older of the two sons. My father also worked at the old factory. The building was so old that the stone step's leading up to thee coffin making rooms were nearly worn smooth. One had to be careful when carrying a finished coffin to the lower floor, where the staining and polishing was done.
On the coffin making floor worked a small Chinese man who made the metal coffins for the deceased who were to be shipped overseas. He did not use any tools, but used his thumbs to bend the steel over steel rods. He had done this for many years, that his thumbs were bent at right angles to his other fingers. When old Mr Wheatley died, he was presented with Mr Wheatley's pocket watch for his long service.
My father also worked there and when he died Wheatley's provided a free service for my father. I left shortly after to join the North Staffordshire Regimental Band.

Hope this has been of some help.
Regards,

Robert
In 1972 ( aged 19 ) I was working in Great Charles Street, straight out of school, and was a resident at the old YMCA Snow Hill just down the street.
Next month, June, I am going back 50 years later and staying at The Hampton by Hilton which I believe to be part of this building. I'll post the result on YouTube and let you know where to find it.
Regards Richard

In 1972 ( aged 19 ) I was working in Great Charles Street, straight out of school, and was a resident at the old YMCA Snow Hill just down the street.
Next month, June, I am going back 50 years later and staying at The Hampton by Hilton which I believe to be part of this building. I'll post the result on YouTube and let you know where to find it.
Regards Richard
Welcome to the Forum Richard! We await your findings.........

Back