• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Richard Berry, Coach Spring Maker

wilkesmaggie

knowlegable brummie
My Granfather was a spring maker and I have been told that he worked at Richard Berry's. Can anyone tell me anything about this company?
Maggie

Hi Maggie,
Found this on curiousfox.com

Richard Berry of Dixton - Dixton
Richard Berry of Dixton married Ann Lewis in 1802. His son, Richard, established a carriage-spring manufactury in Birmingham which flourished in the family's hands until c. 1900. Is anything else known about the family in Dixton?

NOt much but you may be able to trace more info from it.
Sue

Cannot find the firm before 1852
1852 Berry Richard, coach spring maker, 69 Summer lane
1855 Berry Richard, coach spring maker, 109 Summer lane
1858 Berrv Richard, coach spring and patent axletree mnfr, 109, Summer Iane, and ct 16, Digbeth
1862 Berrv Richard& Son, coach spring and patent axletree mnfr, 109, Summer Iane
1867-1933 Berry Richard & Son,coach spring manfrs. 124 Alma st.Aston.
1936-1956 Berry Rd. & Son, motor spring mfrs. 124 Alma st. Aston
They have gone by 1962

Sometime between 1921 & 1932 they opened a new factory,
1932 - 50 Berry Richard & Son, motor coach spring & axle mfrs. Mafeking rd. Smethwick
It has gone by 1955

There was also Richard Berry Motor Springs Birmingham Road West Bromwich. Although the company is no longer there if you look on the outisde of the building you make out the name where the letters on the brick facade were. It is just before motorway island, my friends dad used to work there.

Thank you Mikejee and Sue. My Grandfather was born in Farm Street, Aston so I expect he worked at the Aston works. For every family member that I find I like to "flesh out" their lives. Now a picture to go with it would be nice.
Maggie

Can't oblige with a picture, but below is a map with the works in red, so you know where to look for
Mike

mapc1917BerryRichardspringworks.jpg

My Granfather was a spring maker and I have been told that he worked at Richard Berry's. Can anyone tell me anything about this company?
Maggie
Hi Maggie, In 1959 I was a lorry driver for Richard Berry in Alma Street covering the whole country delivering new & repaired springs mainly for haulage & bus companies, collecting broken springs for repair at the same time. We only had three lorries. I left after a few months because the pay was very poor and others paid more. While I was there the firm was taken over by J. Brockhouse of Hill Top in West Bromwich and very soon all work was moved to there. About 1960.

Brockhouse Berry brings back fond memories. My first job was working for them
Initially it was Richard Berry and another part was Leach Berry. They became Brockhouse Berry in 1977. I loved working there

Back