• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rhodes Elizabeth

debbieironmonger

master brummie
Edit. This request was moved here from a thread about Birmingham Burial Grounds in 1875.

Thanks for providing that information, with all of these burial grounds closing around 1873, where did people get buried after that date? I ask because my ancestors were all buried there except one who died in 1875 and I can't imagine where she was laid to rest.
Deb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for providing that information, with all of these burial grounds closing around 1873, where did people get buried after that date? I ask because my ancestors were all buried there except one who died in 1875 and I can't imagine where she was laid to rest.
Deb.

what was the name of your ancestor who died in 1873

lyn

what was the name of your ancestor who died in 1873

lyn

Hi

Her name was Elizabeth Rhodes, she had 3 children die young and were buried at Holy Trinity camp hill, her husband also in
1861, I couldn't find a record of her burial there and now realise this would be the reason why. Elizabeth died 1873-1875 just don't know where she would be buried now.

Deb

Last edited:
There are 4 deaths registered in Warwickshire for an Elizabeth Rhodes between 1874 & 1877.

Jun qtr 1874, age 1 - buried Witton.

Mar 1875, age 78 - buried Warstone Lane, mentioned by Rosie

Dec 1876, age 79 - nothing listed.

Jun 1877, age 41 - nothing listed.

There is an Elizabeth Rhodes in Warstone Lane Cemetery 1875, haven't checked on the JQRT website yet.

Bereavement Services Birmingham City Council - Bereavement Services Birmingham City Council This is the Birmingham Burials and Cremations site, I'm not sure if the link has copied properly.
Home ...This is the Jewellery Quarter research website.
Hope this helps.
rosie.

Edit. I've had a look but Warstone Lane isn't the right lady, sorry.

Hi Rosie
Thanks for that link, I've looked through that and I found one buried Witton in October 1864. I'm going to check again to see if I have the death date wrong
Deb

There are 4 deaths registered in Warwickshire for an Elizabeth Rhodes between 1874 & 1877.

Jun qtr 1874, age 1 - buried Witton.

Mar 1875, age 78 - buried Warstone Lane, mentioned by Rosie

Dec 1876, age 79 - nothing listed.

Jun 1877, age 41 - nothing listed.
Hi
Rosie sent me a link and I found a burial for Elizabeth Rhodes in 1864 and it made me wonder if I have the death date wrong, I'm wondering now if it was 10 years earlier than I originally thought? It is usual to have such a difference in dates when researching?
Deb

Can you find her on the 1871 census? When was she born?

The one buried in 1864 was 58.

There's a death registered Sep qtr 1863, Aston. Age is listed as 70, so that could be a possibility.

Burial record appears to be in the register for St Peter & St Paul Aston, though I don't thnk that means you are actually buried there.

i have burials and marriages for st peter and st paul and always understood that to be aston parish church which is still there...i do hope so because if not i may have to re write my family history :rolleyes:

MWS I have just seen that one in st peter & st paul, I didn't realise that didn't mean you were buried there, why would they have the record

I could be wrong, I just vaguely remember reading something or being told it.

And that could very well be later, when a church's burial ground was full maybe.

So probably right to assume that they were unless you know otherwise. Sorry for the confusion.

I could be wrong, I just vaguely remember reading something or being told it.

And that could very well be later, when a church's burial ground was full maybe.

So probably right to assume that they were unless you know otherwise. Sorry for the confusion.

Hi
with the records ive looked at i think i have narrowed it down to 2 people with everyone's help.. Its either the death in 1863 and burial at St Peter & Paul or death in 1864 and burial at Witton. I realise the age is wrong for witton but someone else must have given those details and perhaps they did't actually know?
No way of ever really knowing is there

Deb

Two ways.

Burial records usually give an address. Sometimes it's just an area (eg Saltley) but if you're fortunate there's an address. If you can match that up to a known residence - hers or a relatives - then that's it. Or match it to the other Elizabeth Rhodes or a relative and elminate one.

Alternatively you can purchase the death certificate and hopefully the informant will be a relative.

Elizabeth Rhodes buried Sept 26th at St Peter and Paul has an address of George Street Edgbaston on the burial record, age given as 58 years. Does this help?

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Yes, that's great.

There's an Elizabeth Rhodes living in George St, Edgbaston on the 1861 census. Age is slightly out but it has to be her. She is single & a cook, the servant of a John Hornblower.

So that would rule out the 1864 death, leaving just the 1863 as a vitual certainty.

Last edited:
Elizabeth Rhodes buried Sept 26th at St Peter and Paul has an address of George Street Edgbaston on the burial record, age given as 58 years. Does this help?

Yes, that does help as it eliminates her, Elizabeth in my tree was from Adderley Street in Deritend. There was an inquest into her death and I have yet to visit the archives to see the records.
Thanks for your help

Yes, that's great.

There's an Elizabeth Rhodes living in George St, Edgbaston on the 1861 census. Age is slightly out but it has to be her. She is single & a cook, the servant of a John Hornblower.

So that would rule out the 1864 death, leaving just the 1863 as a vitual certainty.

Hi
I have eliminated the burial at St Peter & St Pauls as the address does not correspond to mine which is in Deritend. I found her husband buried in 1861 at Holy Trinity Bordesley but dont think she is there as I was told they stopped burying people in 1863 due to overcrowding. I can only assume either this was a mistake or perhaps she went to Witton Cemetary. Still searching though
Thanks for your help and appreciate any more advice you have
Deb

You're saying you've eliminated the 1863 burial?

There's no reason to suppose that she couldn't have moved between 1861 and 1863. One possibility being that she went to live with one of her children, especially if her health began to fail. So, I don't think a difference between the addresses is a reason to eliminate it.

Back