• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Reynolds road, Handsworth

M

mkent1

i grew up in reynolds road handsworth, has anyone got any memories of that road and the surrounding roads, and the familes that lived there,mkent1:)

stamford road and charles road

i used to live in stamford road and when i came out of the childrens home in erdinton i lived at charles road with sir donald,s finnermoore sister

I used to have a friend who lived in Reynold's Road, Handsworth back in the 1950's. We were teenagers and his name was David Westwood, I don't remember the house number but it was about halfway along the road I think.

He lived there with his mother and father and younger brother - I can't remember their first names.

I went to see him one day and the family were in high spirits - they had just made the final payment on their mortgage which was seven shillings and sixpence per month! (thirty seven and a half new pence!)

june edwards

:glasses:I remember handsworth, lived iin victoria terrace dawson rd. I attended Grove Lane school for girls and swam at woodcock st baths. 1951/53. I used to go to the soho rd market, my mother worked at the packing co. behind the market PDS i think.
happy new year to all.

I am researching my husbands family tree, his gt. Grandmother Ann Fellows ( nee Watson) lived in Park road Aston. She had a child in 1870. She died in 1870 possibly to do with childbearing , in Stamford. Road. I am puzzled as to what she was doing there, it not being her home.

Was there a hospital, clinic or institution there at one time?

Marie

Very old thread, but I lived in Reynolds Road from 1962-73 (My parents lived there from 1952) It was a great place to live and grow up in; the Jones family on one side and the Goughs on the other. I went to St Stephen's in Nineveh Road from 1966.

Very old thread, but I lived in Reynolds Road from 1962-73 (My parents lived there from 1952) It was a great place to live and grow up in; the Jones family on one side and the Goughs on the other. I went to St Stephen's in Nineveh Road from 1966.
There do not appear to be any photos of Reynolds Rd apart from this aerial view dated 1937 showing houses being built. Perhaps the house you lived in had not been built at this date but probably completed by start of WW2. Boulton Rd on the left.
ReynoldsRoad1937.jpg
Image is a crop from a 'britainfromabove' aerial view.

There do not appear to be any photos of Reynolds Rd apart from this aerial view dated 1937 showing houses being built. Perhaps the house you lived in had not been built at this date but probably completed by start of WW2. Boulton Rd on the left.
View attachment 145362
Image is a crop from a 'britainfromabove' aerial view.
Very many thanks - indeed, our house was just off the right hand side of this shot. as the road began to bend round towards Tew Park Road. However, a friend and colleague of my Dad at Lloyds Bank in the Rotunda lived in the house at the top of the cul de sac at left.

I went to St Stephens 1973-1979. Mrs Flanigan was the head teacher then and I remember Mrs Bowes who lived in the caretakers house. I think I remember a Mrs Quinn as well as Mr Walmsley.

Wow, I lived at 40 Reynolds Road from 1956 to 1974 but my mum lived there until 1982. I remember a lot of people and the westwoods lived across the road from us. My sister Mary knew Gillian Westwood and she was her friend in the 60's

i grew up in reynolds road handsworth, has anyone got any memories of that road and the surrounding roads, and the familes that lived there,mkent1:)
I used to live at no 40. Next door to the Roadknights and on other side the Wheways in late 60's 70's. My mother was a seamstress. Elsie Gibson. I remember a lot of people.

Wow, I lived at 40 Reynolds Road from 1956 to 1974 but my mum lived there until 1982. I remember a lot of people and the westwoods lived across the road from us. My sister Mary knew Gillian Westwood and she was her friend in the 60's
My best friend in the 60s was David Westwood, whose mother was Gillian. I can't remember his father's name but David had a younger brother, Peter. David was a commercial artist. When he married, he moved to another district.
I had an Aunt and Uncle, surname Lawson, who ran the Grapes pub in nearby Bacchus Road.

I used to know the David Westwood , the Roadknights and the Goughs in Reynolds Road in the 1950's. We used to live in one of the 2 cul-de sacs Foxcote Avenue off Reynolds Rd

Back