• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Restoring Britain's Landmparks - the Landmark atrust

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Watched this Channel 4 programme about the Landmark Trusts's efforts to restore a variety of properties (so far 200 properties) to let out to holidaymakers.
https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/news-and-events/latest-news/Channel-4-series/

There are mixed press reactions, but personally I found it interesting, despite the press accusations that it's an opportunity to advertise their work. Includes the restoration of a farmhouse located in the Hougoumont area of the Battle of Waterloo. As I say, personally enjoyed the fact that some lovely properties are being saved, restored and allowing people to experience the buildings. At least the Landmark Trust is driving a viable approach to keeping these properties standing. Viv.

Last edited:
Regarding free advertising for the Landmark Trust, this cannot compare to the advertising for celebrities interviewed on The One Show on BBC 1 get promoting their new books , films, theatre etc..

Haven't kept up with this, but cannot see why anyone should object to "advertising " for the Trust on channel 4, other than, of course, local property developers who have been denied an opportunity for an "accidental " fire giving them a chance to make exorbitant profits from the destruction of historic buildings

Last edited:
Absolutely agree AnvilMan and Mike. Another interesting aspect of the programme is that, by restoring features as they originally were, the old crafts are demonstrated too. And in one instance sections of buildings are demolished in the interests of taking it back to its original and/or significant historical features. The space is not kept for the sake of providing additional holiday places. Think the programme might be available on More 4 if you have it, but not sure. Viv.

I too enjoyed last week's episode especially the demolition of the "extras" except for the one bit which was felt to be worth keeping as a stand alone. Fascinating seeing and learning about Coade stone. Also liked the Waterloo connection. Looking forward to tonight's programme although it will be later on video.

Janice

Hi Janice. Yes looking forward to tonight's episode too. The stand alone tower was, I think Victorian. They used common sense (!) in keeping the best features. Viv.

Back