• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Restoration of KDZ 5805

Re: help wanted please..

hi all..well we have now sorted out yard space for toms bus:) its only a about 7 miles from where its parked up now...just one hurdle to get over now:rolleyes: the bus will have to be towed to its new home so if anyone out there has a tow truck or can suggest somewhere that wont charge the earth to tow it we would be most grateful as toms only on part time work at the moment and money is not in abundance..

thanks eveso folks...

lyn:).

Thank you all for your help and advice. We have now sorted out a Tow Truck and I will keep you updated on the restoration progress,

Tom.

Good news, Tom, and welcome to the Forum. You're amongst friends here. I'm looking forward to following the KDZ5805 project from the wilds of Tasmania. :)

That's great news Tom good luck with your project:).

Glad you've got a new home sorted for it, and can start the restoration work in earnest. The Dennis Dart chassis is not all that complicated by modern standards, although it does have a few 'quirks' you have to learn and get used to. I used to work on them at North Birmingham Busways until they sold out, and grew a bit fond of them once I'd learned their ways. Wish I'd kept one of the workshop manuals we had for them now!
Best wishes, Lloyd.

Thanks again all, Lloyd, KDZ 5805 is in good working order apart from the Alternator. I plan to replace all of the lower panels, front bumper and rear Bonnet. I inspected the Chassis last month and it only appears to have surface rust :shocked: No corrosion to the Wooden floor so that's a relief. I can't wait to drive it, must replace the Gear selector and throttle pedal for smooth operation! :D

Tom

Just like to say, glad it's all worked out for Tom. And again what a great bunch of people hang out here on the forum.

Here's a splendid picture of KDZ 5805 at West Bromwich Bus Station on 8 October 2009, in service with Midland Rider (fleet number 1017).

Tom, do you have a full ownership history?

[By courtesy of DublinbusStuff (more great Brum bus pictures there).]

Last edited:

Hi Thylacine, all I know is that KDZ 5805 has had 9 previous owners. I can only remember it being owned by WMT, University Buses, a Preservationist and Midland Rider. It's going nowhere now I own it :)

Thanks, Tom: your bus has "been around a bit"!

Here are two more pictures to help with the "previous owner" jigsaw puzzle:

[1] KDZ 5805 seen in service with Universal Buses Ltd in Wellington Road (not Street), Ashton-under-Lyne (Greater Manchester) on 1 January 2000.

[2] At Stourbridge on 14 February 1998 while with Travel Merry Hill (I notice from the comments that you've already seen this one, Tom):

805 KDZ 5805 with TMH by onthebeast, on Flickr

Last edited:

Haha. I must have misread it as University Buses :rolleyes: Can't believe it was in Greater Manchester! I wonder if it has ever passed G408 OGD (Last MCW Metrobus built) On another note, there will be a BHF sticker on the rear window in 2 weeks when I get my money sorted out. ;) It's gonna cost just over £300 to get KDZ 5805 towed so...

Tom

Tom, hope everything goes well with the restoration project, sounds like it's in reasonable nick though. You do realise we all expect viewing invites when it's done lol :)Sue

The Title of this thread has been changed by Tom's request ... It will save starting a new one covering old ground.

Enjoy everyone :)

Good luck with the restoration Tom, nice to have someone of your age interested enough to buy and want to restore a bus, can be an expensive hobby, keep us informed on the progress.

Thank's John. There's plenty of us young ones who moan about saving buses from the scrap man but verry little of those young ones actually do something, Preserving and Restoring is something I've wanted to do for a while. I'm not loaded but I am trying to do as much as I can by my self. I will post next time with some photos of it being towed away to Green Bus. (Friday):)

Tom

I have only just read this thread and I too would like to say all the best with the project. Finding safe secure storage for a bus is always a problem and always has been. It looks to get worse as the collection at Aston Manor will have to move when the Museum closes. I believe one of the buses from Aston will be going to the Black Country Living Museum but until I am sure this is going ahead and is public knowledge I will refrain from mentioning which bus it is.

I to am involved with bus preservation and even the relativly small jobs like wheel changing can become heavy and awkward jobs. Everything is larger heavier and usually more expensive.

I wish you well with your project Tom.

Back