• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Restoration of KDZ 5805

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks..my son who is a mad keen bus enthusiast has bought himself a rare single decker bus to restore..i think he said it was the last one used by wmpt something like that:rolleyes:...anyway he has nowhere to store it as it has to be moved asap from its present location...would anyone have any suggestions as to where he could store it safely providing it would not cost too much...

many thanks folks for any help on this one...:)

lyn

Re: help wanted please..

Hi Lyn, I'll ask Richard, the "bus nut" at work, tomorrow if he knows of anywhere.

hi lynn..thanks eveso for that..,,its a dire emergency to our tom is this:cry:

will wait for you to get back to me..

cheers..

lyn:)

Lyn, hubby says the bus museum in Cobham Surrey used to store buses for members to work on, was a while ago, but if all else fails may be worth a shot. He also suggests contacting the Birmingham Transport people based at Wythall, they may offer advice.
Hope he finds somewhere for it, Sue

Just hang on a bit there will be a number of Bus aficionados along soon - they travel in convoy you know. Seriously as there are a number on the Forum who are keen or involved in conservation someone will know.

thanks for that sue..i will pass this onto our tom...:)

lyn

Lynn contact Lloyd Penfold (Usernsme: Lloyd) by I.M if he does not see your request , I'm sure he could help...

Ding! Ding! Bus aficionado here! ;)

Sorry, Lyn, I'm a bit far away to be of any practical help, but I heartily endorse Chris's recommendation to contact Lloyd. He is actively involved (up to his elbows in oil and grease!) in the preservation and restoration (and driving) of classic buses at the Transport Museum (Wythall, Worcestershire).

I'd be very interested to hear more about your son's bus. A thread here on the Buses sub-forum might be an idea one day. Then we "anoraks" will be able follow the work-in-progress and cheer along.

OK, move right down the centre of the bus please! Plenty of room on top. There'll be another one (or three) along in a minute. Ding! Ding! ...

Peter. :)

Last edited:

hi peter and thank you..i will contact Lloyd to see what advise he can offer...i wouldnt say toms bus is a classic just yet but i will find out the info on it and post it ..wouldnt mind but he only turned 18 on monday and is not even old enough to drive a bus yet so much help is needed...:cry: oh and toms been thinking of joining the forum for some time now..bout time he did i think:)

just been informed by tom that he is old enough to drive a bus but at the mo he only has a bike licence...just goes to show how much i know...:D

lyn

Last edited:

Just so you all know, Lyn & I have messaged about this, I'm doing what I can but I've said I can't work miracles. This is the bus, on display at Wythall when new - modern perhaps but all history starts somewhere.
The Irish registration is because the bodywork was built in Ireland, and registered at the factory.

The London museum mentioned above is about to move to new premises near the former Brooklands motor racing track, and are downsizing themselves.

Meantime, if anyone has a yard with 30 ft by 9 ft spare, please let Lyn know.
Lloyd.

hi Lloyd and thanks very much for all the help and advise give...no luck yet but i will keep you informed if anything comes up:)

lyn

That's a lovely bus (admittedly a bit modern)! But as Lloyd rightly says: "All history starts somewhere". And young people are very welcome into the bus preservation movement. Lyn, please pass on my encouragement and best wishes to Tom (and may he soon join us here on the BHF :)).

Anorak Supplement (details courtesy of Bus Lists on the Web):
KDZ5805: Dennis "Dart" chassis (no 3011/534) with Wright "Handybus" B39F body (no N106) new in July 1991 as West Midlands Travel fleet no 805.​
So it's getting on for twenty years old (older than its new owner!), and a very worthy candidate for preservation and restoration.

Last edited:

Good luck Lynn and Tom... Shame really we would help and have the space, but living in NZ we are a little too far away me thinks... sorry.

hi peter..i think it only 19 years old and in good conditiion... but as you say history has to start somewhere...thank for your encouragement and i will certainly pass it onto tom...hoping he joins up soon.

thanks chris and yes you are tad to far away lol

lyn

thanks for the pic peter..the you tube is one of toms and he is going to join the forum tomorrow...will have to watch what im saying now lol...

lyn

Wouldn't it be great if we could go on a summer holiday in it!

Lyn I hope Tom finds a good home and the help needed to keep it restored

oh great idea wend..i shall put that to him lol..will let you know how things go...still working on it...

lyn

Back