• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Restaurants In Birmingham 1960s

Restaurants in Birmingham

Another restaurant I recall was the Burlington - was it part of the Burlington Hotel? - time has dimmed my memory, but it was in Burlington
Passage off New Street, we went there for special occasions, I think it later became Bobby Browns.

Another place for special occasions was The Albany Hotel, I think it was called the Four Seasons Resaurant, my sister and her husband took us there for their Silver Wedding Anniversary 1971, and my parents for their
Golden Wedding Anniversary in 1973.
The burlington great place go in down the stairs for well served 3 course

Folk MUST remember "The Curry Garden" in Erdington........had a FEW curries there over the years.
Also "The Green Bengal" I think it was in Coton Lane Erdington.
But the BEST place for a curry was 'The Asian Grill" at Town Gate in Sutton..........

This one might be an ask too far for anyone to remember - not least because I don't remember seeing anyone else in there when we ate in there! :D

The place in question was an Indian restaurant we would go to lunchtimes from the mid-70s up to about 1980 and it was on Edgbaston St, opposite the Rag Market. It was notable for the "Businessmen's Lunches" we would go there for.

Three courses for under a quid. Fruit juice or soup starter (both tinned, I think), chicken or beef curry and rice (or prawn for a surcharge) and ice cream or tinned fruit for dessert. I seem to recall coffee being involved but I don't know if that was an extra. IIRC, when we first started going there for a lunchtime scoff it was 75p but eventually was 90p.

Stonking value even if it wasn't the best food you'd ever eat. If it hadn't have been decent, we wouldn't have gone back because gash food is gash whatever the price.

So, I can remember quite a bit about it except the name. Any chance anyone knows what it was called? Whatever it was, I'm pretty sure by 1990 it was gone.
In the 60s/early 70s this was called the Arabian Nights.

Thanks very much. That's interesting, I wonder if that's what it was called? However, it doesn't ring a bell, unfortunately, and 1973 is at least two, maybe three, years prior to when we went to the place.

I'll mention Jalalabad to the fellow diner who has oft shared a fond reminiscing of the place to see if it jibes with them.

My feeling has long been that we couldn't recall the name because it was analogous to "Red Lion" and "King's Head" named pubs. There is - or more accurately and absolutely tragically was - absolutely hundreds across the country.

Similarly, permutations of "Royal Indian" or "Royal Bengal" abound and have done for a long time. Hence I wouldn't be surprised if it was definitively named as "The Green Bengal" or "Moghul".

I'll do some image searching later for Edgbaston St. If I can find an image of it, perhaps I can narrow down the retail unit it was located at and what businesses might have been around it.

Cheers for the suggestion. Certainly gives me a starting point I didn't have last night!
This was called the Arabian Nights in late 60s/early 70s.

I have been to both The George in the Tree and The Moat House. They were eating places of their time. The good old classic prawn cocktail to start. Rump steak, with chips, peas and grilled tomatoes as a main and Black Forest Gateau for a desert.

They did Irish coffee too.

We would really paint the town red and buy a bottle of Mateus Rosé or Liebfraumilch. Did we think we were part of the in crowd then.

That photo has bought back a few memories for me Pauline, enjoyed a few steaks there back in the 60’s. Thanks for posting. Jen.
any one remember to the golden gloves on moslely rd highgate it was a paddy hang out ,they had a small restaurant , best steak and chips ever

the moat house was in Bradford st its correct name was old moat house it was owned by rob Prike, potatoe merchant

i

Last edited:
The one over the road from the Law Courts was the first one I ever visited. I wasn't aware it was over the top of a Chemists shop? and I can't remember the name either. It was perhaps around 1964? maybe someone with a Kelly's from that time might be able to help. I do remember I had Chinese style beef curry with rice, and had trouble eating it all. My only previous taste of curry was from a packet made Vesta Beef Curry & Rice which contained little peices of fruit, apple and I think sultanas. The real thing was so much different. :shock:
I went with my brothers Ronnie & Tony who paid the bill. My mom & dad would not eat what they though of as foriegn muck :lol: . I still eat Chinese curry as opposed to Indian/Asian curries :lol:

The one over the road from the Law Courts was the first one I ever visited. I wasn't aware it was over the top of a Chemists shop? and I can't remember the name either. It was perhaps around 1964? maybe someone with a Kelly's from that time might be able to help. I do remember I had Chinese style beef curry with rice, and had trouble eating it all. My only previous taste of curry was from a packet made Vesta Beef Curry & Rice which contained little peices of fruit, apple and I think sultanas. The real thing was so much different. :shock:
I went with my brothers Ronnie & Tony who paid the bill. My mom & dad would not eat what they though of as foriegn muck :lol: . I still eat Chinese curry as opposed to Indian/Asian curries :lol:

Attachments

• 0AF228FE-2D71-4445-955A-6B843365309E.jpeg
    0AF228FE-2D71-4445-955A-6B843365309E.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 24
Back