• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Restaurants In Birmingham 1960s

Yes Stitcher A.T.V. was in Bridge street, when I was seeing Derek. If I take it that you were working for Golden Line, then there's a good chance that we met. Derek regularly sent company taxis to pick me up and take me home. I worked for A.T.V. about that time doing voice overs and modelling, so I used them as well. Glad you now remember the upstairs club by Lorenzos. Brenda Scott was resident there and a friend of mine, Di. It was a cosy club, not much remembered. From what you say, you remember Lorenzos as well as me. The Berrows went there, Martin Hone and any celebs that were 'in town'. Weren't they great days? We just didn't know it at the time. Ann
Hi Ann and stitcher . My husband father worked golden line taxis his name was Dennis jackson . Have you got any information as husband lost contact with him . He remembers visiting taxi office as small child . Tia

Birmingham Restaurants early 1960's

Hi Pam, the first Chinese Restaurant I ever went to was called Kam Ling's
it was situated at the top end of Livery Street, near Snow Hill Station, and I think it was 5/6d. for a set lunch. Another early Chinese restaurant was
over Associated Chemists, opposite the Law Courts, but can't recall the name at the moment.
Was it the Light of Asia .

Love the menu, and prices, takes you right back, I have a menu from the late 70's , for "The beef Eater", when we took our boys out on a Sunday Dinner, quite amazing when you cost out the price of thins now!!!

That menu's amazing! My first memory of Berni Inns was The Plough on Stratford Road Shirley, but the menu was very similar. Those schooners of sherry were something else!

Can any of you more mature people out there :lol: remember the name of any restaurants in Brum during the 60s , any type of food English, Chinese Indian etc many thanks Pam.
anyone remember the Golden Egg ? on New street towards the council house end....it was a family treat to go there .....I remember having a "banana boat" desert ...be around 1973/74 when I was 7/8 lol x

The one we used, with our Nanny, was Lyons, corner house, facing the town hall, lovely cakes and ice cream.from the mid 50's to early 60's,!!

Can any of you more mature people out there :lol: remember the name of any restaurants in Brum during the 60s , any type of food English, Chinese Indian etc many thanks Pam.
"In Birmingham, the first Chinese restaurants were established in the late 1950s, Tung Kong on Holloway Head, Kam Ling on Livery Street, and Tung Hing at 15 Snow Hill.

One of the earliest Chinese settlers in Birmingham, Mr John Wong, recalled the rapid development of Chinese restaurants in the 1960s in an interview that can be heard in Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery’s City Sound Archive. As people were getting educated in Chinese cuisine these restaurants did a roaring trade, through word of mouth. Slow Boat opened in 1961 under St Martins Car Park, Heaven Bridge was on Smallbrook Queensway and by 1968 the Old Happy Gathering opened on Pershore Street, serving more authentic Cantonese cuisine.

By the early 1970s Chinese businesses and community associations were clustering around the Hurst Street and Digbeth areas. Wing Yip opened the regions first Chinese supermarket in Coventry Street. A Chinese Club on Bromsgrove Street reflected the political tensions of the day by showing Chinese communist inspired films.

The first generation of male migrants was increasingly joined by family members and Chinese takeaway businesses spread throughout the suburbs." -The Iron Room

Attachments

• tung-hing-at-15-snow-hill-wk-b11-6428.jpg
    tung-hing-at-15-snow-hill-wk-b11-6428.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 14
I vaguely remember the Ying Wah? I think it may have been by Smallbrook Queensway. The food was lovely!
rosie.

I suppose it's stretching things a bit to call it a restaraunt but how about a cheer for the good old Lyons corner house!
Most of you will remember it on the corner of New Street and Colmore row and in the early sixties it was one of the few places open on a Sunday where you could get a decent lunch
Remember the Kardomah on Colmore Row, (opposite the Grand Hotel)
and a good Italien Restaurant (but expensive ) was La Capanna on Hurst St just at the junction of Smallbrook Queensway, another Chinese one on Smallbrook Queensway was the Ying Wa, delivered there a few times, enter by the customers entrance at the front and it all looked very swish, go round the back to the delivery area O M G hence i never ate there and never would, just as an after thought the same company owned another place called the Wing Wa at the junction of Sheaf Lane and Coventry Road Sheldon, and it was much the same, however i am going back to the mid sixties probably a lot less controls in those days.

Morturn, just checked out your website. Very interesting! Like the explanation of public history/historian vs. academic history/historian. Nice painting of a back-to-back as well!
Thats kind of you to say that, thank you.

My first experience of Chinese restaurant was also Kam Ling. very much part of date nights with my boyfriend. (Still have the business card). AE4E919F-8194-48D6-8773-82D81B99DFBE.jpegIn 1965 he took me there to give me my engagement ring. We’ve been married now 57 years. The Slow Boat was also a favourite. In my innocence I first thought that the bottle of soy sauce on the table was dark vinegar! Loved chicken & pineapple with water chestnuts.

My first experience of Chinese restaurant was also Kam Ling. very much part of date nights with my boyfriend. (Still have the business card). View attachment 178523In 1965 he took me there to give me my engagement ring. We’ve been married now 57 years. The Slow Boat was also a favourite. In my innocence I first thought that the bottle of soy sauce on the table was dark vinegar! Loved chicken & pineapple with water chestnuts.
Congratulations on 57 years!

Back