• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rest House Bournville

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.

The angle of the Rest House in the modern picture is not right - but you get the gist.

Attachments

• Bournville Village Green 1914.jpg
    Bournville Village Green 1914.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Bournville Village Green (2).jpg
    Bournville Village Green (2).jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Cadbury's Bournville

This Rest House in Bournville was paid for by Cadbury employees in 1913 to celebrate the silver wedding anniversary of G & W Cadbury. The design is based on Yarm Market in Dunster. What happy employees they must have been to contribute to such a lovely gift.

https://images.birminghamhistory.co...userpics/10014/Bournville_Rest_House_1983.JPG

https://images.birminghamhistory.co.../userpics/10014/Bournville_RestHouse_1983.JPG

Photo was taken in 1983. Viv.

Replacement photos as originals seem to have disappeared after hacking!!

I've never been inside the Rest House despite having lived in Bournville and close to the Green. So, if like me, you've never seen inside, here's a description of the planned interior, the year before being built.

Interior photos very welcome. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 4
I sat outside quite a few times when at Bournville College. It was always a great place to relax and watch the world (which was far less frantic at the time) go by. The spring, with its great display of daffodils, is a fondly remembered time.
Lots of daffodils, which I consider a great welcome as winter is - hopefully retreating - out along the roadsides here and in gardens recently: they will last for a while as differing varieties and locations extend the flowering season. The flowering trees are now starting their displays.

A good link you've posted Janice. Had a browse of the other photos too. Worth a look everyone. But pity there aren't dates on them - or have I missed something ? Viv.

Back