• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

RESPECT To our Fallen Comrades

ColinB

gone but not forgotten
Copied from a post on Facebook

I saw a boy marching, with medals on his chest,
He marched alongside Soldiers, marching six abreast,
He knew it was Remembrance Day, he walked along with pride,
And did his best to keep in step with the soldiers by his side.
And when the march was over the boy looked rather tired.
A soldier said. "Whose medals son?" to which the boy replied,,
"They belong to my Dad, but he didn't come back.
He died out in Afghanistan , up on a Helmand Track".
The boy looked rather sad, and a tear came to his eye,
But the soldier said, "Don't worry son, I'll tell you why,"
He said, "Your dad marched with us today, all the bloomin way,
All us soldiers knew he was here, it's like that on Remembrance Day."
The boy looked rather puzzled he didn't understand
But the soldier went on talking, and started to wave his hand,
"For this great land we live in, there's a price we have to pay,
To keep our Country free, and fly our flag today.
Yes we all love fun and merriment in this country where we live,
But the price was that some soldier his precious life must give,
For you to go to school, my son, and worship God at will.
Somebody had to pay the price, so our soldiers paid the bill.
Your dad died for us my son, for all things good and true.
And I hope you can understand these words I've said to you".
The boy looked up at the soldier and after a little while,
His face changed expression, and he said with a beautiful smile,
"I know my dad marched here today, this our Remembrance Day,
I know he did, I know he did, all the bloomin way!.......

RESPECT To our Fallen Comrades, Respect to those that have fought For our nation. Lest We Forget

Colin

My heart was gladdened on this Saturday in Cambridge to see so many young people male and female collecting for the British Legion poppy appeal. I remember each day the lads I knew, who are still aged 18,19,20, years, although I am now an old man,but I remember them especially at this time of year it will be the first time I can go to the local war memorial with my youngest son who is a para,
and who has served two tours in Afghanistan.
paul

I was really pleased to get a message from my Great Neice asking if in my 'Family Tree' files we had any relatives who died in the first, or and second World Wars. I said we had and I would send her all the details : Names, ages, place and how they died, also information on the cemeteries where they were buried. I also said I had some photos of some of their 'Headstones', Service Cards and Memorials if she would like name to email them to her.
Her answer was yes please because it was for a school project and her teacher said that they could pin any family photos to a large Poppy they were erecting in the school hall.

Chris, i think the war must be being included in history now at school, my 12 year old is also doing a project at school onit. He is chuffed as he has always found ww1 interesting and loves visiting war based exhibitions.
One of Dads rels apparently died at Gallipoli, but as it is the estranged part of the family, don't know much about him.
Colin, I saw that post too and thought it was very moving.
Sue

Colin, Thank you for posting the poem, it is very moving..

Sue, I think WW1 has been included in schools for some time. My youngest (now 23) studied it when he was at school and also went on a school trip, to see the Landing Beaches and Cemeteries. The school party also went to the Menin Gate and heard The Last Post being played.. he was very moved by the whole experience and still remembers what he learnt, which is more than can be said for some of the other subjects that he studied.

My youngest daughter studied WW1 at school and like your son ,Sue became very interested and emotional especially as we have two casulties from this time on our family tree.Later when they were looking at WW2 she took the story of my Uncle Tom who was killed in Malta in 1942 and his photo in to school.

I've set tomorrow morning aside for my annual visit to the Salerno War Cemetery.
If there are any members who would like a flower placed on a specific grave, please let me know via an Instant Message (IM) the fallen hero's full name and I'll do my best to discover the exact position of the grave; it's important that the name is complete as there are 1846 plots within the cemetery.
If any new member would like to see a "video" of the immaculately kept final resting place of a gallant airman, sailor or soldier, here's a link to a posting I made in 2009:

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27387&page=8&highlight=poppy+Day
..... Page 8, Post #116

..... or it can be seen on YouTube at :

h**p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS-q0PujU1Y please replace the ** with a double 't' to reactivate the link.

There are numerous brave Brummies' names in the official register.

They will never be forgotten.

David [db84124]

What a lovely gesture David. Just the fact you are there is a comfort to me. God bless them all...lest we forget.

lets all spare at thought at 11 oclock this morning...they all gave so much.....god bless them all...

poppy4.jpg

They said it was the war to end all wars, but we all knew they lied
They said you'll come back as Heroes but most of my comrades have died
They said we would have the best of everything but we never did
They said they would be right there with us but the leaders ran and hid
They said it wouldn't last long: it would all be over in less than a year
They said they were suffering too, but I never saw one shed a tear
They said the Germans were the enemy, they called them Nazis or the Huns
They said they were animals, but they too were were Fathers, Husbands or Sons
They said We were winning and that what we did would be remembered forever
They said our appalling conditions would get better, but of course they never
They said lots of things which they believed were true, but they were lying
They said we were all brave, but you don't feel brave when your mates are dieing
They said when this was over, war would never again raise its ugly head
They said we would all live in peace, it never happened, but its what They said.

..... our flowers at the Salerno War Cemetery alongside an Italian-style 'wreath' laid by the dignitaries of a grateful neighbouring town.

November_2011_128.jpg

I am so pleased to see that our new generation are respecting the fallen (again, of so many generations). When I was a youngster there was no information about the war apart from what relatives decided to tell you (on a good day) things were so sad and tragic.Recently it has become known that we no longer have any veterans from the first ww and I just wonder how many we have left from the second ww???

There have been many conflicts since the world wars and remembrance day will serve to remember all from so many. I grew up with no teaching at school about the world wars but I do have so much respect for so many and what they have achieved for even more.

Took this picture today in my local graveyard after the rememberance day parade.

Read right to the bottom. Sums up the day really.

Grave.jpg

I cried when I read all the posts on this thread - so sad. The thought of my granny Poly came into my mind and I thought of her sorrow. When her youngerst son [my uncle Arthur]was blown up I didn't understand her sorrow. It happens that he was aboard his ship [anchored on the Thames] awaiting to depart on the tomorrow, when a 'mine' came into harbour and blew the ship and its crew up. This 'story is told in'the girl from Hockley' book. Today - I understand. Miriam.

376457_10150388489889585_731354584_8448202_295609483_n.jpg
This photo was in the mail the other evening and I hope no one minds me putting it on this thread. My daughter in laws class were there too. I love the look on the children's faces. Jean.

I cried when I read all the posts on this thread - so sad. The thought of my granny Poly came into my mind and I thought of her sorrow. When her youngerst son [my uncle Arthur]was blown up I didn't understand her sorrow. It happens that he was aboard his ship [anchored on the Thames] awaiting to depart on the tomorrow, when a 'mine' came into harbour and blew the ship and its crew up. This 'story is told in'the girl from Hockley' book. Today - I understand. Miriam.

Miriam I remember that from reading a Girl From Hockley. They suffered so much how awful for your granny Polly and so many like her. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Jean, that's a lovely picture of the children but aso of the veteran, they are the ones that the children will listen to and retain the information, so all credit to them for giving their time to talk and keep our history alive for the young generations.
Like Shady, I wonder how many WW2 veterans are still alive - Dad was only 8 whne it began and he is 80 at Christmas, so they must all be approaching 90 or older,so probably not that many.
Sue

I hope this will be alright on this thread, I spoke via the telephone today to my 89 year old stepbrother on Dads side and my 90 year old stepbrother on moms side. They are both still active and alert and we had a chat about things in general. I also spoke to my old friend in S. Wales who is 91now and has dementia. He is o/k to talk to about the past but has no knowledge of the present. He was on the convoys in the N. Atlantic and was torpedoed twice so he lost a lot of his mates. One of my stepbrothers was in the R. Artillery and the other was in the REME. They never talk at length about those six years, just an odd mention of some things. It must have been dreadfull and that is why I support the B. Legion whenever possible.

Back