• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Research help needed...

evansjake043

I have been looking into Birmingham's history for a while now and found this article on the history of Birmingham

Just wondering, they mention about the Romans in 43 AD then skip all the way to 1086, was there any notable events between these two time periods?

Interesting question, this is what Carl Chinn says In Birmingham, Workshop of the World...

“Birmingham historians from Hutton onwards largely dismissed the prehistoric and Roman periods as little more than a footnote because of the absence of written records and scarcity of physical remains. Most assumed the area remained wooded and sparsely populated until the Anglo-Saxon period. The knowledge of Birmingham before the Anglo-Saxon period is derived mainly from archaeological remains.”

Birth of Birmingham unfortunately took place during the foggiest of times which was rightly named the Dark Ages and from which there was a lack of written records. There was a theory from Sarah Wager (historian) regarding land continuity. I dont know whether anyone is able to research that.

Last edited:
Birth of Birmingham unfortunately took place during the foggiest of times which was rightly named the Dark Ages and from which there was a lack of written records. There was a theory from Sarah Wager (historian) regarding land continuity. I dont know whether anyone is able to research that.
There must have been quite a lot of archeology work done by now given the amount of new development that has taken place in Birmingham and planning requirements on site developers.

Tinpot there has been and that was where 'land continuity' comes in which land units survived from one era to another which involved archaeology, topography and place named evidence but of course it needed documentary research. With all the ongoing developments taking place, they may unearth some definitive proof. Lets hope so.

Tinpot there has been and that was where 'land continuity' comes in which land units survived from one era to another which involved archaeology, topography and place named evidence but of course it needed documentary research. With all the ongoing developments taking place, they may unearth some definitive proof. Lets hope so.
Do place names play a part in 'land continuity' research?

I can only quote what I learned a few years ago re the Dark Ages of Birmingham 'Research would include inter-relationships between medieval parishes claimed to be fragmented remains of earlier parochial places and other land units'.

Back