• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Request

motorman-mike

Brum visitor who stayed.
Did anyone chance to be among the photographers attending the 'Running Day' at the Aston Manor Museum of Transport today and photographed BCT Standard 3225 on the 1415 (2-15pm) Outer Circle 11 working from Aston to the Swan, Yardley, returning at 1445 (2-45pm) from Yardley. I ask because I was the driver on this journey and this was my last outing in 3225 due to full retirement from West Midlands Travel in a fortnights time. I would have liked a photo as a keepsake of this, to me, special day that marks the end of 46 years of driving corporation/company owned buses. I retired as a full time driver at Yardley Wood in 2005 but continued as a part time Cashier and also Heritage Bus driver for 3225 when required. My retirement coincides with the closure of Lea Hall Garage to enable one of their Cashiers to replace me.

Mike I also hope you find that picture. And when you do, please upload it for us. That's a real "red letter day" approaching (your retirement from WMT). Will you be "towed in" to your garage by your driver colleagues on the day? If so, a photograph won't be enough. A video is required to satisfy your far-flung fans. ;)

Hi. Mike. I hope you manage to find someone who would have taken a photo on that day, as you say a very special day for you, I would have enjoyed being on as a passenger if that was your last run, you have such a lot of great memories of your many years as a bus and coach driver, and have been a credit to the bus scene, Thylacine is spot on, a video of you being towed in is we want. I wish you a very happy retirement my mate.

Too late chaps, my official retirement with traditional tow in was back in 2005 (see#1). It's not possible to have two tow ins and I broke my service by not taking the part time work as a continuation of full time work so would not be eligble now in any case. When I can remember where I put them, perhaps I could post a couple of my tow in photos on here.;)
Mike

Mike I do hope someone has a photo for you it would be a lovely keepsake. 46 years service - thats fantastic - well done! If I had known I would have come and took a photo for you!
Polly

Regret no photos of yours truly at the wheel on last Metrobus Day have come to light but in response to Thylacine here are a couple of photos on my tow in day in October 2005 (Crikey, was it that long ago?) With me to mark the occaision is my grandson. Wonder what future buses he will see in his lifetime!

Last edited:
Hi. Mike. Nice to see you being towed in, and the only appropriate bus they had for the job as well, looks like our kid, (Jeff), in the line up.

Thanks for posting those photo's Mike and keep that bunny of your's locked up as we have missed you.:):) Jean.

Be sure to stay with us Mike, you are an absolute treasure to us bus nerds and a pleasure to commune with on here on any subject...hip,hip, hooray. I am doffing my hat to you...

Many thanks, folks. One of my New Years resolutions is to spend a bit more time enjoying BHF. Won't be hard to keep, I reckon.:thumbsup:

Back