• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Request For Information/images Of Birmingham Ww2

Julie P

Hello. I have recently come across this wonderful site and thank you for allowing me to become a member. I am not from Birmingham myself but my husband's family are - Winson Green area.

I am currently writing a book for Pen and Sword Books about Birmingham's contribution to WW2 and I am hoping that there may be some members of this forum that might have information/images of the period that I could use in the book with full acknowledgments and attributions?

I am particularly interested in information and images regarding the Home Guard, ARP, etc., as well as the factories/plane production and other war work. Was your family involved in defending the city or in the production of munitions or other important war work? I would be very interested to hear more.

I have been to the library and archives and managed to get plenty of images of the horrendous bomb damage but I could do with images of the Home Guard Battalions - I have written about as many of them as I possibly could fit into the chapter along with any other information/images relevant to the era. Birmingham's contribution to the war effort is far too vast to fit into one book!

This is my 4th book for Pen and Sword.

I hope you can help

Best wishes
Julie

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hello julie and welcome to the forum...i am quite sure that if you trawl through the forums ww2 section there must be some photos of the home guards...good luck with the book and the research..there is also plenty on winson green if you are interested in that..

all the best

lyn

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Julie,

Welcome to the Forum. Very few of us on here are old enough to have personal memories of the war, though quite a few of us can remember going into the shelter when the sirens went, etc. My father was 57 and had served in WW1 so was only fit to do firewatching. At the other end of the scale I had a maternal uncle who steadfastly refused to firewatch on conscientious grounds and on his second appearance in Court for the offence was told by the Magistrate that we would be fined £10 and if he didn't pay then he would be imprisoned for one month. He told the Magistrate not to waste his time and that he would do the month's imprisonment immediately! All recorded in the local newspapers.

Many of the members here have similar anecdotes I'm sure. Enjoy you research and if we can help we will.

Maurice

Julie P

hello julie and welcome to the forum...i am quite sure that if you trawl through the forums ww2 section there must be some photos of the home guards...good luck with the book and the research..there is also plenty on winson green if you are interested in that..

all the best

lyn
Hi, Lyn. Thank you for replying. It's much appreciated. Yes, I will have to go through the forum properly and have a good look. It's all so interesting but so easy to get side tracked!

Julie P

Julie,

Welcome to the Forum. Very few of us on here are old enough to have personal memories of the war, though quite a few of us can remember going into the shelter when the sirens went, etc. My father was 57 and had served in WW1 so was only fit to do firewatching. At the other end of the scale I had a maternal uncle who steadfastly refused to firewatch on conscientious grounds and on his second appearance in Court for the offence was told by the Magistrate that we would be fined £10 and if he didn't pay then he would be imprisoned for one month. He told the Magistrate not to waste his time and that he would do the month's imprisonment immediately! All recorded in the local newspapers.

Many of the members here have similar anecdotes I'm sure. Enjoy you research and if we can help we will.

Maurice
Hi, Maurice. I'd love to include your anecdotes in the book - it gives me an idea of what life was really like for those in Birmingham in the war. There's nothing like real-life experiences to bring that personal feel to the book.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi julie...just take your time...there is a lot to see on this forum...as you say it is very easy to get side tracked:D

lyn

cookie273uk

master brummie
Hi Julie, my late father in Law Steve McNickle (b. 1900) was on war time fire watching and his lookout post was top of St Peters and St Pauls parish church Aston, he said it was 'spooky' and was glad when the shift was over !! When you sift through the various 'threads' you may read references to pics that are simply not there, that is because some years ago the Forum was 'hacked' and all our pics removed, most have since been replaced but not all. Eric

Steve R

master brummie
Hello Julie, I may be able to help you old with Police related information if that is of interest. I am co-author of a book to be released next month to celebrate 100 years of Police women in in Birmingham. Rebecca Lipscome and Evelyn Miles were the first in 1917. There is a fairly large section dedication to World War 2 as the police controlled the NFS, Wardens and fire watcher etc. Some of the pictures have never been seen before as they are from the Police museum. There is also new information from the records. The book 'A Fair Cop' is released in four weeks, all profits are for charities of the type those first officers supported when they started. PM me if you have any questions.

Steve R