• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artefacts : Repurposed artefacts or items of historical interest

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
I recently posted an item about some pews from Christ Church New Street being repurposed into a staircase at Blakesley Hall. I think it might be worth recording any items that have been reused and can, still today, be seen in Birmingham.
Details of their location and any photos of the items would be appreciated too.

9A063931-0BE8-4F29-91B2-65A88168A3F5.jpeg

Viv.

I’m posting this especially for Astoness. (One of the earliest and most entertaining threads I’ve ever read on BHF concerned Astonesses exploits to recover some blue bricks from a demolition site !)

In the instance below some 60,000 bricks from Birmingham slum buildings were transported and reused further afield in Evesham. Viv.

7BC60379-496D-421E-A66D-721BED31FBA2.jpeg

Nice thread Viv. As you so rightly pointed out, on the St Michael's, Boldmere thread a few days ago, the lych gate was built from timbers from the newly demolished Erdington Hall. I seem to remember that the hall and the building of Tyburn Road had something to do with each other. Maybe part of the hall was in the way.

I'd love to read about Lyn's exploits with the blue bricks. Is the thread still on the forum?

Attachments

• P8070177.JPG
    P8070177.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
I think it is at

I recently posted an item about some pews from Christ Church New Street being repurposed into a staircase at Blakesley Hall. I think it might be worth recording any items that have been reused and can, still today, be seen in Birmingham.
Details of their location and any photos of the items would be appreciated too.

View attachment 145481

Viv.
Excellent idea for a new thread.
Looking forward to see what people come up with.

I suggest Wythall Transport Museum for inclusion in this thread.
It has a large collection of buses and other road vehicles which do not fulfil their original purpose (maybe excepting the towing vehicles) of taking people to work, school, shopping or days out. However they do have open days where people can enjoy a day out together with the educational aspect which is achieved with school visits. Besides buses there are other items, from the past, to be seen.
Hopefully, as with many other historical places, they can re-open soon.
Incidentally the Wythall site has been farmland, Royal Air Force Station and now the Museum so has a history in itself.

I think it is at

Some of the blue bricks salvaged from the archaeological dig in Centenary Square were going to be used to edge Thomas Walker’s grave at Key Hill. Very fitting as (edit - if) it was he who invented the blue paver. I wonder if this was done ? Viv.

Last edited:
We have a Thread concerning Thomas Walker, but how is he tied to the Blue Brick?

A post in this thread explains, Pedro - post 54 Sept. 2009

See para 6 about “Blue Brick Walker”. Birmingham has him to thank for ridding the town of the dreaded ‘kidney stone’ pavements. Viv.

Yes he was given the nickname ‘Blue Brick Walker’ and due to his exertions the town owed the comfortable blue brick pavements. But did he actually invent the Blue brick?

Panelling from Dr Hector’s residence in Old Square moved to Aston Hall. Wonder whereabouts in Aston Hall. Viv.

DCEA1550-A99C-457B-B1EE-D516C415BDEE.jpeg

Pedro. After doing a few more searches I can find no specific evidence to show Blue Brick Walker ‘invented’ the brick. Perhaps he got the name through his Public Works involvement ie his enthusiasm to replace the poor Birmingham pavements. Viv.

Thanks Pedro. That’s very helpful.

Turning to street lamps, I wonder if any of these street lights ended up in Chipping Campden ? If they did, well done Chipping Campden. I remember my dad talking about buying a lamp like this for our front garden, but it never materialised. Maybe the cost put him off. Viv.

D27BE32B-463D-4D83-8B3F-F2C6FDE904D7.jpeg

Not sure if this fits in with the spirit of this thread but didn't the entrance gates etc. to Birmingham Tram depot go to the Crich Tramway Museum ?

Back