• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Replacement Attachments Old & New Brum Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the update Phil. Useful to know why the images are no longer visible. I think the best advice is as Eric (cookie) has suggested in post #18. Why pay out to host images when they can so easily be directly uploaded to the forum?

If you're no longer using Photobucket, check out these uploading instructions put together by forum moderators. Any problems, just let one of the mods know. We're here to help. Viv.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/uploading-photos.47776/

phil as you know i posted an awful lot of photos via photobucket on the old st pics thread after the forum was hacked 2011 and photobucket have now removed all my images from this forum:mad::mad::mad:...sorry folks but i cant afford that sort of money to upgrade my photobucket account to reinstate them ..so glad i did not use them for very long to upload photos on here...

lyn
It is not just in the UK it seems. A lot of the guys on an American railroad forum I frequent are very cross about it. None suggest paying up $399 (£306 currently) and some reckon P/Bucket are signing their own death warrant. However time will tell.

thanks for helping out trying to get my missing photo bucket photos back on the forum phil..will be having a good luck over the weekend to see if i can help as well...

lyn

If pressure from some of the American forums persuades Photobucket to allow the links for a week or two there might be ways in Xenforo of permanently fixing the images to the forum.

I tried to access them the other day and could not, so does not surprise me. Personally I cannot understand why anyone would put their photos on a website if they were not able to show them to others.If anyone notices that any of Lyn's photos (or mine, as i think I may have put a few on in the past) have gone missing , then let us know. We will know to look and replace them if we can

I had a forum search for Photobucket images on the forum and there are several hundred. The main problem is that many images don't have file names which relate to the places the images are showing. This makes it difficult to put them back in the correct place on the forum.

One interesting thing I have found is that many Photobucket images are showing on the forum for those forum members who have probably not exceeded Photobucket's 100% 3rd Party Hosting Allowance whatever that is. It would be interesting to know what that allowance is.

Last edited:
morning phil...i have 2141 photos stored on photobucket using up only 20% of my allowed storage space so my question is why have all my photos vanished from bhf..

lyn

ok phil understand that..just to make sure i have tried to upload a photo onto here and no go...think what i am going to do is ask my son to see if i can remove all of my images from photobucket and put them all onto my lappy in a folder..

Lyn,
I think it is a good idea to copy your Photobucket pics back into your own laptop. You have at least 91 in the 'old streets thread' and editing them back in the posts as forum pics will be a long process.

The screenshot below shows the ones I was extracting from your photobucket (a slow process) but it does not seem to be working this morning ! You can see how I was identifying them to the forum posts.
Capture.JPG

Mention is made regarding the loss of pictures from this place some years ago. I wonder if this sort of thing is what happened rather than an individual 'hacker'?

hi alan the images we lost years ago was due to a forum hack..we lost over 66ooo...as posted this is to do with photobucket taking off images posted from there to here unless we pay a lot of money to upgrade our photobucket account..no chance of that as they are asking over £300 a year for the privilege...

phil thanks for your efforts i will get photos copied from photobucket back to my lappy asap..

lyn

Mention is made regarding the loss of pictures from this place some years ago. I wonder if this sort of thing is what happened rather than an individual 'hacker'?
I suppose the pics across the world linked to the Photobucket servers uses their bandwidth and servers cost money to run. It has certainly caused some upsets on hundreds of forums and blogs across the world.
Can you see the apparent Photobucket pic in the forum post below ?
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/another-old-pub.34394/page-13#post-428063

Hi Lyn, a click on the link should take you straight to the post ... the pic below shows what I see
Phil
Capture2.JPG

right got it now and yes i can see it but phil posted it and i dont think he uses photobucket

Lyn,
I think because you have a lot of Photobucket pics in the popular and much viewed 'Old Streets Pics' thread, every time someone looks at a pic in the thread it has to come via the link from Photobucket and obviously uses some of their bandwidth. Other Photobucket pics on the BHF are probably not viewed so much so they don't register on the Photobucket's bandwidth meter and are therefore still visible.
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back