• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Renting Tellies

It would be interesting to find out what the average wage was for a man in 1963, my dad was a carpenter for the council. £98 seems to me an extrordiary amout of money for a TV set. I am sure he also bought a small van, and Austin A35 for just over £200. Unfortunately, my dad bought stuff like this and kept the family in poverty.

We rented our first VCR from Granada not long after they first came out and following the battle with Betamax. I can still remember the corded remote control which everyone tripped over. We rented our first black and white tv back in 1970 but can't remember where from. Our first colour set was bought from MEB in Shirley in the early seventies but was a real problem as it had to go in for repair at least three or four times due to faulty circuit boards, unfortunately the loan sets were portable black and white which our young Daughter didn't appreciate.

Morturn going of subject for a sec, I was 24 in 1963 and earned as a motor mechanic the princely sum ot £13 a week.Our flat in Edgebaston cost us £4-17-6 a week.My wife earned £6 a week at Enots in Aston in the stores

Morturn going of subject for a sec, I was 24 in 1963 and earned as a motor mechanic the princely sum ot £13 a week.Our flat in Edgebaston cost us £4-17-6 a week.My wife earned £6 a week at Enots in Aston in the stores

Thanks, I was thinking between £10 - £15 a weeks, so that was a lot of money to spend on a tv set, I would say around £4,500 today.

It would be interesting to find out what the average wage was for a man in 1963, my dad was a carpenter for the council. £98 seems to me an extrordiary amout of money for a TV set. I am sure he also bought a small van, and Austin A35 for just over £200. Unfortunately, my dad bought stuff like this and kept the family in poverty.
In 1962 at Cannings as a sales office clerk, I earned £16.00 per week flat rate, overtime extra, moved to Plymouth and in November 1962 I started work as a wages clerk at £9.00 per week, after two months out of work. In 1966 I started for Forward Trust as a rep at £1000.00 per year and a car.

Bob

Started as trainee mechanic in1960 for the princely wage of 1/6d per hour, 48 hr week which included Saturday mornings. Mind you when my family were looking to move to Paignton the same year the wage there was 1/0d per hour. Sorry about wandering off thread.

In 1962 at Cannings as a sales office clerk, I earned £16.00 per week flat rate, overtime extra, moved to Plymouth and in November 1962 I started work as a wages clerk at £9.00 per week, after two months out of work. In 1966 I started for Forward Trust as a rep at £1000.00 per year and a car.

Bob
my dad worked for Sir Ernest Canning as Publicity Manager, it was his 2nd job after leaving university and we lived in Studland Road, Hall Green, it was 1962 so I guess you were there same time as m my dad.

i rented a furguson tx 10 from a shop on .whashwood heath rd1592060474188.png that had a 50p slot box on the back.just.:grinning:

I remember renting a telly from DER in Redditch just after I got married in 1976, came with a tennis game on it simple days back then wasn't it.

There is talk these days about scams, well like the wheel, scams have been around a long while.
I knew someone who was a doorstep canvasser: he would sell anything that the credit companies wanted him to sell in order to gain new customers.
He managed to con many, although few seemed to realise it. But his downfall and ultimate prison sentence was the result of visiting people he knew had a rental tv - because he had got them to rent their television from the company he canvassed for prior to this. He told them that he had to pick up their tv as it was an older model and shortly others would be along to install a new up-to-date set for them. Everyone, it seemed believed him.
Obviously when no new tv's arrived folks got in touch with their rental supplier. How he thought he could get away with it I do not know, as he was well known on the door knocking circuit.

Back