• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Remembrance Day 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very good parade from Chelmsley Wood Royal British Legion Clopton Crescent B37 6QT to St Andrews church 13/11/2011, Starts from Legion club at 09.50 after wreath and tributes being laid from 09.15. Northfield Caledonia Pipe and Drum Band will lead the parade. Parade returns to Legion after Remembrance service. All are very welcome.
Another brilliant parade again today, for those of you that missed it, put it in your diary for a must do for next year. Everybody is welcome.

More and more people turnout every year at Chelmsley.
Some of the elderly residents with the help of their carers from the nearby Silver Birch home came to see the parade.

What's the general feeling towards people wearing there parents war medals on Remembrance Sunday parades.
I'm going to the one in Shirley Solihull this Sunday and am considering wearing my Dads WW2 medals in his honour.
He was very proud and allways marched with them on his chest on Remembrance Sunday with his local British Legion right up to his death 19 years ago.
Since then I allways get a photo of him and Mum, put them up in the lounge and put his medals beside the photo on Remembrance Sunday.
I never earned these medals, he did, so should I be wearing them?
What's other forumites opinion on this matter, I would respect your opinions.

I think only people who have served in the forces are qualified to give an opinion on that EB.

What's the general feeling towards people wearing there parents war medals on Remembrance Sunday parades.
I'm going to the one in Shirley Solihull this Sunday and am considering wearing my Dads WW2 medals in his honour.
He was very proud and allways marched with them on his chest on Remembrance Sunday with his local British Legion right up to his death 19 years ago.
Since then I allways get a photo of him and Mum, put them up in the lounge and put his medals beside the photo on Remembrance Sunday.
My dad's medals are framed and displayed in my home, however I had a set of miniature medals made and my grandson will be proudly wearing them when he marches with his scout cub pack at his local Remembrance Sunday march.

I have always avoided parades of any kind. Even in my RAF service I usually managed to avoid them. When on stations the notification of a large parade, by a high ranking officer, would automatically see me apply for leave - which was never refused. ;) Fortunately I spent 18 months with the Ministry of Supply and another 18 with the FAA where parades were non existent as far as I was concerned. I did have to attend presentations.
Regarding Remembrance then I believe it is up to each individual to do as they see fit. The principal fact is maintaining that observance and the respect that goes with it. There is always a service, wreath and a period of silence, in my church so that, for me is sufficient. I make no comment on the wearing of medals - but unlike Capt..Mainwaring (Dads Army) I do have them. :D

hi elmdon boy personally i would not have bothered asking an opinion on this you do what you feel is right for you...but as you have asked.... wear your dads medals with pride on sunday..unfortunately i do not have my grandads medals from ww1 or another rellie who died at the somme but if i did they would certainly not be tucked in a drawer on remembrance sunday because i would be wearing them:)

lyn

Last edited:
I spent two periods as Standard Bearer for a locai RBL branch, starting in 1982. I still turn up for the Service of Remembrance and I never cease to be moved by the size of the crowd attending. There are more of them now than there were back in the 80s. There's no danger of the The Fallen being forgotten by this generation,that's clear.
E B, a lot of people wear relative's medals, just remember to wear them on the right hand side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back