• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Remembrance Day 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked into going to Brum on Sunday.
1st bus leaves Coleshill 11.10AM, Too Late!
Or I could catch the train at 06.30 from Coleshill out to Nuneaton change there for Brum. Travel time 2 hr 45min.
And they ask us to use "public transport" !!!!!!!!!!!

Yes Chocks, i had suggested on my previous post that the Arriva bus 112 from Brum goes directly to the arboretum on its journey to Burton on trent, then i realised that it dosnt on a Sunday. Max

Chocks 2 it may be worth checking with the British Legion in Parkfield Road in Coleshill, they used to have a parade with the local scouts which tho small was still moving and wreath laying at the memorial outside the church on Church Hill. Not sure if it still happens now as we are in Tamworth, where there is also a parade with the band and a reasonable turn out with wreath laynig in the town centre and then at the old hospital after the service, but not sure about transport for that either. Hope you find one to go to, Sue

What about Shard End British Legion, or the British Legion in general ? worth a phone call, i know there is a memorial in the shopping centre at Chelmsley Wood so i assume they would have some sort of service. Max

Chocks, looks as if the paradewill be on in Coleshill, as the Coleshill Town Band are scheduled to play, starting at 10.00a.m., not sure where from though, will post if my friends in Coleshill have more info. Sue

From what I have heard quite a number of RBL clubs are closing, ours in Littleover is now a private club, it seems that
the younger members will not take on the officerships involved in running a branch Bernard

I feel really proud, I've been asked to lay a poppy wreath on Remembrance Sunday. I too will be displaying my late Dad's medals, on the right breast of course. Everyone should be proud to wear their late families medals,I certainly will be.View attachment 60208

good for you frankie..im sure you will wear your dads medals with pride...we owe him and so many others a great debt....

lyn

Coleshill RBL have moved to Water Orton and if it wasn't for the band no one would be there.
Tamworth is a brilliant parade and I am a mamber of Tamworth RNA but for personal reasons I won't be going there.
Kingshurst which is now known as Chelmsley RBL is looking the most promising.
Thanks for the info everyone
Chocks

thanks for the pics chocks...i watched the service on tv and as usual it bought a tear to my eyes...

god bless them all....

lyn

Although I was never in the Armed Forces myself, my two elder step brothers went all the way through WW2 and my dad was a messenger in WW1 because was too young to be a soldier. Dad was in the R.B.L and we were taken to a parade each year as well as attending other events. In the past I have been to The Cenotaph, I have attended Trooping The Colour and other functions. As I have piled the years on I have re-drawn my boundaries and attended services closer to home. I have been to a couple of Cathedrals and village churches more recently but nowadays, because of plastic and titanium joints I watch it on the T.V. and you may or may not believe this but I find it just as moving now as I did at any of the live services. It is thanks to all those who fought for this country I have had a great life. I remember my childhood and all the laughter, then came school and I quite enjoyd that for the greater part. My teen-age years, starting work, M/bikes and later came motor cars. I have posted my working life on a different thread so I will stop now.
God Bless all of them.View attachment 60426

I attended Marston Green War Memorial where my 6 year old grandson and two of his class mates were laying a wreath on behalf of the local Infant School. It was very moving, as just before 11 o'clock a military hospital plane took off from Birmingham Airport on it's way back to Afghanistan. It made us all realise that these brave young lads are still giving lives and suffering terrible injuries in the name of peace. My heart goes out to all those who have family serving in the world's danger zones.

a few pics just to remind us all again of why we must never forget those who past and present who lost their lives not just fighting for this country but also for those left behind who also lost their lives and their homes and somehow managed to carry on under horrific circumstances...i salute them all....

all pics courtesy of carl chinn

lyn

Last edited:
This has been a great thread with some lovely photo's. Thanks for the pictures of Coleshill Chocks. We were away but watched it all on TV.

A very good parade from Chelmsley Wood Royal British Legion Clopton Crescent B37 6QT to St Andrews church 13/11/2011, Starts from Legion club at 09.50 after wreath and tributes being laid from 09.15. Northfield Caledonia Pipe and Drum Band will lead the parade. Parade returns to Legion after Remembrance service. All are very welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back