• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

REMEMBRANCE DAY 2021/2022

hi folks re my post 1.. yesterday a friend.. myself my son and grandson james ( 3 generation of harringtons) attended the remembrance day service at st michael of all angels church in wales ..we were made so welcome by everyone there and everyone wanted to talk to us about harry...little harry was remembered during the service...we arrived to the news that harrys grave had been located and after the service we were taken to it....have to admit i shed tears at that news...after tea..cake and bicuits we were led to the grave and un beknown to us the church warden had placed evergreen leaves around the grave to mark it out...what a lovey thought this was...we laid down our flowers card and remembrance cross and karen the church warden said after we had gone she would find a vase out and put the flowers in it yet another kind gesture...sure enough true to her word i received an email from karen last night and some photographs of what the grave looked like now...now instead of just a piece of grass it looks more like a proper grave...i know my dad would be very proud to know that after 80 years of being alone his little brother was now having visitors..we are now making plans to have a permanent memorial put in place...if you look at the photograph of the church on post 2 harry is to the right of it overlooking the wonderful peaceful country side...below are some photos...2 of them taken before the flowers were put in a vase..nearly forgot to mention that half way through the service the resident bat came out and started to fly around the church much to the amusement of my grandson james..

lyn

HARRY HARRINGTON DIED MONMOUTHSHIRE AGED 6..BURIED ON 5TH MARCH 1941 AT ST MICHAEL OF ALL ANGELS LLANFIHANGEL YSTERN LLEWERN

harrys grave 2.jpgharrys grave 3.jpgharrys grave 4.jpgharrys grave 5.jpgharrys grave 6.jpgharrys grave 6.jpgharrys grave.jpgharrys grave 7.jpg

Last edited:
hi folks re my post 1.. yesterday a friend.. myself my son and grandson james ( 3 generation of harringtons) attended the remembrance day service at st michael of all angels church in wales ..we were made so welcome by everyone there and everyone wanted to talk to us about harry...little harry was remembered during the service...we arrived to the news that harrys grave had been located and after the service we were taken to it....have to admit i shed tears at that news...after tea..cake and bicuits we were led to the grave and un beknown to us the church warden had placed evergreen leaves around the grave to mark it out...what a lovey thought this was...we laid down our flowers card and remembrance cross and karen the church warden said after we had gone she would find a vase out and put the flowers in it yet another kind gesture...sure enough true to her word i received an email from karen last night and some photographs of what the grave looked like now...now instead of just a piece of grass it looks more like a proper grave...i know my dad would be very proud to know that after 80 years of being alone his little brother was now having visitors..we are now making plans to have a permanent memorial put in place...if you look at the photograph of the church on post 2 harry is to the right of it overlooking the wonderful peaceful country side...below are some photos...2 of them taken before the flowers were put in a vase..nearly forgot to mention that half way through the service the resident bat came out and started to fly around the church much to the amusement of my grandson james..

lyn

HARRY HARRINGTON DIED MONMOUTHSHIRE AGED 6..BURIED ON 5TH MARCH 1941 AT ST MICHAEL OF ALL ANGELS LLANFIHANGEL

lyn
bendithiwch ef. (bless him) Lyn

A long research journey Lyn which began here
What a wonderful ending to a sad story.
God bless him

yes jan...of course i knew about harry many years ago from dad and it has always been a mission of mine to find harry and then covid held back my research but at last its mission completed well actually not quite as my next step is to try and find out which school harry went to as there maybe school photos that are archived somewhere...i forgot to mention that the lady who lives in the lodge next to the church as told me to call by for a cuppa and a chat anytime and karen the church warden has told me that next time i am visiting to let her know because she will ask the people who now own the farmhouse where harry was staying if they will allow me to take a look around....i really cant believe just how much generosity and hospitality everyone is offering...it really means such a lot to me...

lyn

Monmouth. is nice Lyn we are going there in a few weeks . (monmouth council flag)
220px-Arms_of_Monmouthshire_County_Council.svg.png
then on to Bethlem. ...

yes jan...of course i knew about harry many years ago from dad and it has always been a mission of mine to find harry and then covid held back my research but at last its mission completed well actually not quite as my next step is to try and find out which school harry went to as there maybe school photos that are archived somewhere...i forgot to mention that the lady who lives in the lodge next to the church as told me to call by for a cuppa and a chat anytime and karen the church warden has told me that next time i am visiting to let her know because she will ask the people who now own the farmhouse where harry was staying if they will allow me to take a look around....i really cant believe just how much generosity and hospitality everyone is offering...it really means such a lot to me...

lyn
do you want a dishgled o de. welsh for cuppa:grinning:

As an ex-National Serviceman it is with a tinge of emotion that I watch the remembrance service on TV.
However I am always disappointed that no mention is made of the service given from Southern Rhodesia or even Zimbabwe.

Maybe it is because Zimbabwe is not a member of the Commonwealth. But what has that to do with remembrance? They also served...and died.
(Even Mozambique gets a mention of being in the Commonwealth.)

The Poppy

I am not a badge of honour,
I am not a racist smear,
I am not a fashion statement,
To be worn but once a year.

I am not glorification
Of conflict or of war.
I am not a paper ornament
A token, I am more.

I am a loving memory,
Of a father or a son,
A permanent reminder
Of each and every one.

I'm paper or enamel
I'm old or shining new,
I'm a way of saying thank you,
To every one of you.

I am a simple poppy
A Reminder to you all,
That courage, faith and honour,
Will stand where heroes fall.​

As an ex-National Serviceman it is with a tinge of emotion that I watch the remembrance service on TV.
However I am always disappointed that no mention is made of the service given from Southern Rhodesia or even Zimbabwe.

Maybe it is because Zimbabwe is not a member of the Commonwealth. But what has that to do with remembrance? They also served...and died.
(Even Mozambique gets a mention of being in the Commonwealth.)

The Poppy

I am not a badge of honour,
I am not a racist smear,
I am not a fashion statement,
To be worn but once a year.

I am not glorification
Of conflict or of war.
I am not a paper ornament
A token, I am more.

I am a loving memory,
Of a father or a son,
A permanent reminder
Of each and every one.

I'm paper or enamel
I'm old or shining new,
I'm a way of saying thank you,
To every one of you.

I am a simple poppy
A Reminder to you all,
That courage, faith and honour,
Will stand where heroes fall.​
My flag is flying 365 days a year in Remembrance as you can see in pic #20 the poppy is also on my car 365 days a year.........

Attachments

• LWF.jpg
    LWF.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
hi folks if you read from post 21 it tells of my story to find out where my dads little brother is buried..as you will read last nov we found his burial spot in wales....we have had this lovely treated oak grave marker made for harry and will be taking it to wales on sunday which is the 81st anniversary of his death its 10x6 inches but looks even larger with the stake attached and quite heavy....if our dad was still here i know he would be so pleased that harry is no longer forgotten

lynharrys marker.jpg

So pleased Lyn that you have managed to track down his final resting place and have been able to visit. A fitting meorial to one who, though so young, died away from home.

hi folks if you read from post 21 it tells of my story to find out where my dads little brother is buried..as you will read last nov we found his burial spot in wales....we have had this lovely treated oak grave marker made for harry and will be taking it to wales on sunday which is the 81st anniversary of his death its 10x6 inches but looks even larger with the stake attached and quite heavy....if our dad was still here i know he would be so pleased that harry is no longer forgotten

lynView attachment 167837
How lovely. I’m so glad you have been able to do this for him. Rest in Peace Harry, you are remembered and loved.

The website for Ancestry is offering free access for a short period to allow access to military records , see link below I do not know what the T’s and C’s are for access.

Usually that you need to register. Looks as if this year they will send you a user name and password which will, I assume, expire after 8th.
Strange as the offer usually extends over Remembrance Day itself.

Back