• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Remembering - Six Sons - 3 Killed in Action

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
All six sons of Elizabeth and the late Thomas Maull of 16 Aston Lane, saw service in WW1. Three were killed.

Lance Sgt Frederick Alfred Maull. No.7406, 2nd Bn. South Staffs Regt.
(served as Moore) Killed on 2 November, 1914. Husband of Edith. Buried in the Divisional Collecting Post Cemetery Extension, near Ypres, Belgium.

Pte James Henry Maull, No.3058, 9th Bn. Royal Warwicks. Died 5 July 1916, aged 21. Buried in Amara War Cemetery, Mespotamia (Iraq)

Sgt Thomas Henry Maull, No. M2/201368 Army Service Corps (717 MT Coy, 'E' Siege Park). Killed in action 30 August 1918, aged 40. Husband of Florence of 2 Witton Lane. Buried in Fonchette Churchyard, France.

We Shall Remember Them

We Shall Remember Them
In the rising of the sun and its going down,
In the cold stillness of winter's chill
In the breath of springtime at its twilight hour
In bright summer's drowsy scent of flowers
In the rustling of leaves - music of autumnal winds
In the beginning of the year and when it ends,
When thoughts bear down and we shed a tear
When we have special celebrations we yearn to share,
So long as we live, they shall live too,
For they are part of us - it's true
We Shall Remember Them.

I just don't know how any parent deals with that. I don't think I'd be strong enough.

How terribly sad. one son is too many, but human beings have incredible strength of mind and heart to cope. they, the parents, must have stopped breathing until the others came home.

Such terrible times. Having two sons myself I can't even imagine what these families went through.

Charlie - I think people were more religious in that day and age and relied more on their 'Faith' to pull them through -along with the support of loved ones friend and the many kindness they received.

Yet who would not cry out to God to lift their heavy load finding its burden to hard to bear!

Last edited by a moderator:
It really makes you realise what sacrifices were made in WW1 by normal familey's I am an ex-serviceman and have my youngest serving on active service abroad, the pain is very real , but it is his chosen career and it is mine and my poor wifes job to back him and support him back here not sit about shaking with fear everytime there is a British casualty. His friend from school Ryan, was the R.E. bomb disposal Spr who lost an arm and leg in the the Exlosion which killed his superior the RE CSM earlier this year, and I have been looking at old photo's of birthday party's with them both together laughing and yes it worries me to death but when I meet Ryan like last night it takes me all my strength not be upset, but be normal, although whwn alone ask God not let it happen to us, then ashamed as he had lost his dad some time ago. The parents from WW1 and WW2 had no choice really there sons were taken by conscription.
paul stacey

Hi Terry

All three brothers are remembered on the St Peters & Pauls memorial Aston. They are also remembered in the Roll of Honour of Bham Men & Woman Who Gave Their Lives in The Great War.
There is also a TK Maull listed on the St Peters & St Pauls memorial but not in the Roll of Honour. Unable to find a TK Maull on the CWGC but have found a Private 19392 T Maull 10th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Not sure if he was related to the other 3 even more tragic for the family if he was.

Tony

Tony

Thanks for that info Tony our "detectives might get on the case" I hope.......

At the Beehive pub Minworth there used to be a memorial board, and if I remember there were 5 brothers listed. I don't know whether it is still there, but what a tragedy for that family.

All six sons of Elizabeth and the late Thomas Maull of 16 Aston Lane, saw service in WW1. Three were killed.

Lance Sgt Frederick Alfred Maull. No.7406, 2nd Bn. South Staffs Regt.
(served as Moore) Killed on 2 November, 1914. Husband of Edith. Buried in the Divisional Collecting Post Cemetery Extension, near Ypres, Belgium.

Pte James Henry Maull, No.3058, 9th Bn. Royal Warwicks. Died 5 July 1916, aged 21. Buried in Amara War Cemetery, Mespotamia (Iraq)

Sgt Thomas Henry Maull, No. M2/201368 Army Service Corps (717 MT Coy, 'E' Siege Park). Killed in action 30 August 1918, aged 40. Husband of Florence of 2 Witton Lane. Buried in Fonchette Churchyard, France.
Hi Terry
These were my great uncles, brothers of my grandmother.

Back