• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Remembrance Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
so glad you like the piccies zena....will you send my regards to your mom and dad please...

great pics froth..i couldnt get any from my side and the sun was right in me eyes..the weather was very kind yesterday..

lyn

That's why we moved to the other side

couldnt win really froth...if you stood broad st side could only see the backs of line up..stand symphony hall side and the sun was glaring but at least i could get a front view of the parade...great morning...felt a right idiot as i thought they had built the cenotaph since the last time i was that way lol

lyn

Last edited:
It's a convincing cenotaph, well at least from a distance. Never knew 'pop up' cenotaphs were used. Makes sense in B'ham where there's such a lovely memorial in the Hall of Memory. Great photos everyone. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you all for the lovely pictures and links on this thread.
I didn't know about temporary Cenotaphs, pity it's not there permanently, but we do have the beautiful Hall of Memory. I went inside once, the atmosphere is so tranquil. The roll of Honour is on the plinth in the middle. I think they turn a page every day(?).
I'm so pleased about your Wreath lyn!
rosie.

hi rosie well i thought the cenotaph was a new build and i had missed out on it lol..but as you say we have the wonderful hall of memory..that will do us..have to agree with you...i felt a sense of peace inside..someone there did say that the page is turned every day...

lyn.x

We were in Birmingham city centre about midday on Sunday and was surprised at the number of people not wearing poppies.

I would hazard a guess at around 1-2% with poppies, this was after the main event but even so seemed very poor.

bill i think what is happening now is there is an upsurge in the sales of the enamel badges which in fairness do not stand out so easily to the naked eye as the pin on poppy...i had both...the pin on ones get all mashed up after a while and then thrown away but the enamel ones can be used again and again...having said that i was very happy to see just how many young children and teenagers wore poppys..something that we would not have seen a few years back..

lyn

Last edited:
I have an enamel badge poppy, which came on elastic to fit around the wrist. I bought this because every year I lose a poppy before Armistice Day and I thought it would be one way to show support for our armed services without it getting lost. I should have bought a 'normal' poppy as well because I did not feel quite right on Sunday at our Remembrance Service without one showing.

I loose mine every year on my coat I have an enamel pin as well. My 10 year old grandson has a stick on one, it must be good! It was all battered and curled up on his coat when I took him to school today but at least it was there.

View attachment gass workers mem.bmppaul stacey has asked me to post this pic of the poppy and cross that he laid on the cambridge gas company pals memorial...so pleased you managed to do this paul...i know how much you wanted to...

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks so much Lyn, its normally a day when I remember my pals lying in "Silent Valley military cemetery" Little Aden, Aden, Southern Arabia. Also those who did't come home from NI, but being the centenary of WW1, I had often gone by the "Gas Company memorial", and never seen a poppy on it and so, this year, my old mate John Marshall, ex S/SGT 39. Engineer Regt, RE and me did it this year. A simple message which read, to let you know that your sacrifice was not in vain, or forgotten. Kindest regards Paul Stacey.

thats lovely paul and well done to you and your mate john...a simple message maybe...but words that speak volumns...

all the best paul..

lyn

Hello Paul. I don't know whether this is relevant to you but there was an obituary and a long write-up in The Times today (Saturday 15th Nov) on Major-General Sir Peter Downward. The article said that he had played a key role in the defence of Aden in the 1960s, and I noticed that you had served there. He commanded the Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers). Might be of interest? Dave.

Hi Dave, The Lancashire Fusiliers, (Yellow/White Hackle). were in the Aden Policing Emergency, I believe in 66/67, They lost a few men when the Aden Police Mutinied, at Crater, together with the Argil and Sutherland Highlanders, as to the deceased Major/General I am afraid as a lowly squaddie, I had not heard of him, Thanks for the thought though.Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back