• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Remember Them

Michael_Ingram

gone but not forgotten
Remember all our grandads, dads, brothers and their pals.
Below, My Grandfather, Harry who fought in WW1, My Dad, Alf who fought in WW1, my brother Alf who fought in WW2 and was wounded on DDay, my Dad on a horse, somewhere in Northern France or Belgium WW1

Lovely photo's Mike you are lucky to have them. I have posted these before of my husbands grandfather.

Lovely photos Michael, you are very lucky to have them and thank you for sharing. We will remember them.

Graham.

Di lovely photo they look so young.......well they were.:( No, we can never repay the dept we owe these men and women.

Thanks for posting these very special photos. It was a very emotional day here with the parades and services carried out in the pouring rain. So many people brought their children to the services which was good to see.

The Veterans turned out and could ride free on the transit system for the
day if needed. The only thing missing this year was the fly over of the vintage aircraft over our house on the way to fly over the service at the City cenotaph from up country. The weather was just too wet for them to take off.

This was taken just before John left for the front.The little girl is my mother in law she was three when her father was killed. She went to see his grave at the Somme in her 80's just before she died.

Can't find the thread but someone asked if the first world war was taught in schools. My daughter in law is a teacher at a junior school where they always sell poppies and at this time they sit and discuss what it was all about with the children but it isn't taught as a subject throughout the year. It maybe at senior school though. Jean.

My 13 yr old daughter has been learning about WW1 at school recently, but I have to say that when I asked her a few questions she didn't really understand very much.
That's a shame, because our family were very much involved in WW1 and WW2.
Let me honour some of my immediate family in WW1:

View attachment 22568 View attachment 22569 View attachment 22570 View attachment 22571

But especially this one in WW2. My grandad.

View attachment 22572

He was accompanying the 10th Gurkhas on a mission to rescue wounded comrades in the jungles of Burma in 1944 and they were ambushed by the Japanese. They came under mortar fire. His body was never found.

The Taukkyan Memorial commemorates by name, on rectangular piers on the inner sides of covered walks, 27000 officers and men of the Commonwealth Land Forces. On a frieze inside the rotunda are inscribed the words:

"Here are recorded the names of twenty-seven thousand soldiers of many races united in service to the British Crown who gave their lives in Burma and Assam but to whom the fortune of war denied the customary rites accredited to their comrades in death"

Lieutenant Colonel C D Darroch, Defence Attaché at the British Embassy in Rangoon, said,
"Many, many people from all over the world come to Taukkyan throughout the year and pay their respects to the fallen. They are not forgotten."

I wear my grandads medals with pride on 11th November each year.

eirridia, the photo's are lovely. You must be very proud epecially of your grandfather. Thank you for sharing this with us.:)

Thank you Wendy, I hadn't seen that before. My grand dad was in the Kings Rifles, he died as a POW in 1918. https://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=902646

Graham.

Hi Cadeau. My great uncle Alfred Reginald Mason died as a POW in 1918. He was also in the 9th battalion on the Kings Rifles. He was in Stendal POW camp and died in the October whereas your grandad died in the December. I wonder if they knew each other. I have no idea if they were in the same POW camp or how big the 9th battalion of the Kings Rilfles would have been.

We will remember them.

Jules

Hi.
Here is a cutting out of the B.Ham Weekly Post dated 18 September 1915
showing my grandfather James Hewitt who D.O.W 19 August 1915 aged 32 leaving six children behind with his five brothers and brother-in -law Pte George Robinson who was wounded twice in battle.

Unfortunatley I have not any "real" photo's of any of them.

regards Steerboy.

Mt gt gt uncle George Ball who died 18years old at the Somme...

0294.JPG

My father, Clifford Roy Penfold, who added a year to his age to join up and go to Gallipoli (at 17), and later the Holy Land in WW1.
Have you seen the film 'Gallipoli'? I remembered him telling me that the 'top brass' were knowingly sending men to their deaths, and that was shown in the film. Luckily he was only wounded and taken off by hospital ship, and when told he couldn't fight 'front line' again became an officer's batman for the rest of his service. I have his medals and service and discharge papers.

Back