• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Remember, Remember, the 5th of November.

Dad always arranged a bonfire for us in the garden. The neighbours would all come as well. There would be chestnuts cooked on a length of chicken wire streched over the fire and spuds baked beneath a pile of red hot ashes. And of course there were the fireworks. These were mainly a visual experience, and very pretty to watch. The modern thing is pay a small fortune to hear a bang. Happy Days.

Thats a nice one Dave for starters.

Len I always have my camera with me trouble is I don't get out much

My dad always did a small bonfire and fireworks. He had a shed where he did his watch repairing with a small coke stove which had shelves on the side. He would do jacket potates and roast chestnuts I remember one sad November the 5th when I went down the garden and thought my cat was asleep. My parents didn't tell me he had died until the next day so as not to spoil my evening. This is a picture of him named Tibby round about the time he died. That's me when I was sweet and innocent. Jean.

The story of my life Jean we had a Tibby Cat and he killed my White Mouse

Lovely photo Jean

We had a few fireworks and a barbecue in the garden last night. My husband set up the fireworks and my son lit them. After the first bang my two 4 year old grandchildren ran inside. The Catherine wheels my husband so cleverly fixed to the bird table set fire to it and the rockets turned the wall black. Never mind the sausages and beefburgers were lovely.......even though I say so myself! Tsk!

Hi Everyone

I left England when I was 7 in the 50's, but I remember fireworks day Nov. 5. We had roasted potatoes and a few fireworks. In Canada we celebrate Victoria Day in May (queen's birthday) and Canada Day July 1st. We don't set off our own fireworks, but go to the city park and watch the towns display. I never forget November 5th. To this day, I still roast potatoes in the oven on that night and remember the words of the poem. "A Penny for the Guy sir the village children cry. Watch the bonfire blaze, see the sparks fly. Remember its November Sir a Penny for the Guy." not sure where it came from. I think its in a nursery rhymn book somewhere.

Kath

Like the fireworks photos very much. My son was born on Guy Fawkes Day.
Didn't name him Guy though. He is Duncan.

We lived in one of the three groves on College rd Kingstanding. Each grove had a massive bonfire, the boys used to collect for weeks before hand, pulling the bits of wood on their homemade carts. Mom always put a sack of spuds in the oven and we had them with lashings of butter, happy days!

Bonfire Night has come early again! Last night one firework lit up the garden and seemed to explode outside my patio door.
I've just bought an incinerator so on Bonfire Night I'm going to burn what's left of the fences after they came down earlier in the year.
rosie.

Back