• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Building Relics of the Region (planned Video Production)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I'm really pleased to announce that local historian, Chris Upton has kindly agreed to present this series!! I'm also meeting up with a local cinematographer/cameraman who has also kindly offered to get involved, so it looks like we've got a camera crew on board!

We've got a wealth of information and research building up with regards to the Brandauer Pen Factory, but we're still looking for PEOPLE. It would be fantastic to interview someone who worked at Brandauer. Perhaps you know someone, or perhaps there's someone in your family we could speak to? If so, please do get in touch!

Thank you!
Michael.

Michael that's fantastic news Chris is a lovely man and very interesting to listen to. I wish you all the luck in the world with your project. I do hope someone will come forward who worked or know's someone who worked at Brandauers who will talk to you.

Come on folks we really need to support this project after all it's what we are about Birmingham's history

Hello, thank you all for your support! I have a few more ideas for the series of videos up my sleeve, all will be revealed soon!

Michael.

Some sad, but probably inevitable news I'm afraid ...

There was a large fire at the former Brandauer factory in New John Street in Newtown on Saturday.

Eight fire engines were called and managed to extinguish the fire, but some damage has been done to about a third of the front of the building.

Hopefully this building will be saved before any further damage is done!

West Midlands Police Statement:
https://www.wmfs.net/Media/Incidents/Details/?contentId=103461

HI RELIC
Was this a disused factory building or what ?.
or is it part used by tennants renting space, probaly caused by dossers ;vacarants even druggies
probaly no room at the sali army hostel or the church cript so they ma have been forced to
bed down there ;its not the first time thers been big factory fires in and around that area
any idea whom owned the building
best wishes astonion ;;

Hiya,

Not sure who owns the building presently, but it's being old by estate agents GVA Grimley.

The building itself is a former pen factory, owned by C. Brandauer & Co.

Having driven past the building within recent weeks, it appears that entry had been forced into a couple of the doors on the front of the building. The side of the building, that backs onto a small car washing/valeting company is also unsecure.

I believe that squatters were using the site, and that's most probably how the fire started.

Totally gutted by this one. It's another long time lurker of an explore for me. I've never visited the site, but as it was on my doorstep, I didn't think it was going anywhere.
The guys that run the car cleaning firm actually lock up the entire entrance to the building when they shut up shop, so they actually were doing us a favour. There are so many people who don't care about being seen entering the building, that there were many broken windows etc on the road. Such a shame, and again, gutted to see this one go up in flames. Such a waste.

As I read the thread and saw Relics post I thought " I hope Virusman got there before the fire." Sorry you did not manage it but it goes to show just how important the photo records of UrbExers. can be. So many of these old buildings mysteriously catch fire and are then only suitable for demolition and new development. A sad end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back