• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Building Relics of the Region (planned Video Production)

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

relicsoftheregion

Hello everyone,

I'm a 23 year old freelance film-maker based in Birmingham. Over the next couple of months, I'm going to be filming and editing a series of videos dedicated to the history of Birmingham ... more specifically, to the buildings of Birmingham - those now abandoned factories, workshops and warehouses we all drive past, but rarely give a second thought to.

This series of online videos will act to document the history of these now derelict buildings, asking the question: "what did that use to be?", "who worked there?", "what did the workers in that building produce?".

Hopefully these videos will act as some sort of online documentation - a digital archive if you will, of the history of old Birmingham and its manufacturing heritage.

Each video in the series will address an individual building ... which is where (hopefully!) the members of this forum come in. For the first two videos, I'd like to start with Lallian's Mill and the Brandauer pen nib factory in Newtown.

These remarkable buildings are still standing tall today, albeit derelict and abandonded. Can we unleash some life into them by re-visiting the history behind them? To inform others of their past? To educate younger generations once these buildings are sadly long gone?

I'm looking for people who perhaps worked in these buildings, old photographs from years gone by, memories from those who used to pass these buildings every day, who perhaps lived nearby.

Do you, or anyone you know, have memories, stories, documents, or photographs relating to their history? If you do, I'd love to hear from you!

Please reply to this thread, or drop me a private message with any contact details you'd rather not share online and I'll get back to you.

Any help, no matter how big or small would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully we can make a success of this, and preserve these fantastic buildings in digital form!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Wishes,
Michael.

Sorry I can't help with the two factories mentioned - but can I just say what an excellent idea this is and I'm sure everyone on the Forum will wish you success in the project.

Michael as Charlie says a brilliant idea. I love the Brandauer building, it upsets me to see it in such a state every time I pass it on the way to Brum. Have you contacted the Pen Room I bet they would love to help with your project and they have some lovely photo's of Brandauer's in better times. They are good friends of ours:).

Fantastic news Relic's of the region. Given the great Industrial past from a city of such great distiction and the power house of the Victorian expansion world wide, I am a little sad that the powers to be don't give more cover and expand on the Illustrius diversity of trades and history Birmingham has to offer. All power to you I hope it goes well.

Michael as Charlie says a brilliant idea. I love the Brandauer building, it upsets me to see it in such a state every time I pass it on the way to Brum. Have you contacted the Pen Room I bet they would love to help with your project and they have some lovely photo's of Brandauer's in better times. They are good friends of ours:).

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all the positive comments.

I have contacted the Pen Room Wendy, just waiting for a response at the moment. Will definitely take a walk up there to see what information they might have with regards to the Brandauer factory in Newtown.

If anyone has any information, memories, photos or knows anyone that might - I'd love to hear from you.

Please do drop me a message on the forum, or as a private message if you're not keen on sharing your contact details publically.

Thanks again for the comments - any more feedback, advice, or suggestions of other buildings you think we could cover ... do let me know.

Best,
Michael.

Brandauers is one place I've been meaning to go and shoot for a while. Maybe we could go take a look inside, you video, and I'll photograph. It could be a good way of seeing the place for possibly the last time as I've heard work is soon going to start on the renovation there..................

Brandauers is one place I've been meaning to go and shoot for a while. Maybe we could go take a look inside, you video, and I'll photograph. It could be a good way of seeing the place for possibly the last time as I've heard work is soon going to start on the renovation there..................

Hiya, I'm afraid we have no plans to try and access any of these buildings without permission from their respective owners.

Due to the fragile state and nature of some of these sites, we don't want to risk entering for fear of injury. This is a historical documentary ... we don't want it turning into a medical one!

Despite their crumbling appearance, these buildings are still technically owned by someone somewhere and so accessing them is a form of trespass. And of course with many of them in the hands of demolition companies, we don't want to be caught inside them as the wrecking ball comes through the back wall!

I hope you understand,

Thanks,
Michael.

Hiya, I'm afraid we have no plans to try and access any of these buildings without permission from their respective owners.

Due to the fragile state and nature of some of these sites, we don't want to risk entering for fear of injury. This is a historical documentary ... we don't want it turning into a medical one!

Despite their crumbling appearance, these buildings are still technically owned by someone somewhere and so accessing them is a form of trespass. And of course with many of them in the hands of demolition companies, we don't want to be caught inside them as the wrecking ball comes through the back wall!

I hope you understand,

Thanks,
Michael.

I can understand that point of view, no problem. The whole trespass law is confused and contrived, but I won't go into that here.

These places for the most part need documenting in anyway they can before they are demolished. I'll have to go and have a look on my own I think!!! LOL!

hi michael...im not sure how much you have already researched but i think its a brillient idea..the inside of the building has already been photogaphed about 4 years back now...the pics are amazing and of course you are quite right about not risking your neck going into the building now as i beleive its in a very fragile state...a friend of mine used to work there in the early 70s but i will have to try to locate her as we lost touch years ago...apart from that the only thing i can do is to try and find some older pics of the outside of the building..will get back to you if i come up with anything and good luck..

lyn

Hiya, I'm aware of the trespass issue. We're more than happy to venture into a building to film IF we get the relevant permission from the owner, and some official advice with regards to the safety of the structure.

I'm hoping to make use of a lot of personal interviews, old photographs, that sort of thing - so ideally we'll be fine with some exterior present day shots. If we can get some shots inside, great. If not, I'd rather leave it than compromise on safety.

hi michael...im not sure how much you have already researched but i think its a brillient idea..the inside of the building has already been photogaphed about 4 years back now...the pics are amazing and of course you are quite right about not risking your neck going into the building now as i beleive its in a very fragile state...a friend of mine used to work there in the early 70s but i will have to try to locate her as we lost touch years ago...apart from that the only thing i can do is to try and find some older pics of the outside of the building..will get back to you if i come up with anything and good luck..

lyn

Hi Lyn,

Thanks ever so much for offering to do that - sounds brilliant! We're really keen to document the history of these buildings, more so than their present-day state. If we can get permission, and it's safe to film inside ... great. If not, we're not prepared to take a safety risk, just to get a "nice interior shot". These buildings are so old, and poorly looked-after that there are many hidden dangers often inside, and so we just don't want to take that risk. There's plenty we can achieve by just filming outside these buildings.

Thanks again for your message, if you are able to provide any photos/information, that would be brilliant.

Best Wishes,
Michael

ok michael..i will have a look around for you for any pics...i wonder if the spiral staircase is still intact...makes you weep at what we have lost...

lyn

Brandauers is still up for sale I think by Grimley's. I will send you an I.M with contact details for the Pen Room. I think in your case Michael it is especially worth a visit.

Thanks Neil for that link, I'd visited that site before but forgotten about it!

And thanks Aidan for your thoughts, much appreciated.

If anyone has any more information about the Brandauer factory, or Lallian's Mill, I'd love to hear from you ... and hopefully I can get the first couple of videos filmed ASAP.

Many thanks,
Michael.

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd post a message to keep you all updated with progress on the web series.

We've whittled it down to five epsidodes, each one visiting a building/object/person that represents a declining manufacturing industry within Birmingham.

I don't want to give too much away here, but I can safely say I've been deluged with offers of help with research, suggestions of contacts, and ideas for the videos. So to everyone who has got in touch, thank you!

The first video should be ready around September time, and hopefully the other four will appear in the months after that.

A website is in the process of being designed, where you'll be able to watch all of the five finished videos online. After that, depending on demand and viewing figures, we might film some more.

In the meantime, if you have any information to share, or ideas for the series - please do get in touch ... either on the forum, or via private message.

Oh, and if anyone could suggest a possible presenter for any of these videos - someone perhaps Birmingham based, interested in local history, and willing to give up a few weekends for filming, we'd love to hear from you.

Many thanks,
Michael.

hi michael..this really sounds so interesting and thanks for keeping us updated with your progress...the website sounds exciting and i for one am looking forward to viewing it..i have sent you an instant message...

lyn

Sounds really exciting as for narration I would suggest possibly Mark Williams he did Industrial Revelations, Malcolm Stent, Carl Chinn, you could ask at the Pen Room, Brian Jones is very good.

Mark Williams would be the perfect guy for the job. He filmed in the old gun makers in Bournebrooke that closed down and I explored not long after. Carl Chinn, another good suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back