• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Links: Midlands Historical Data site

gingerjon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
Midlands Historical Data Newsletter of 11 March 2009

We have today released the 1945/6 Birmingham Electoral Register. The qualifying date for the register was 30th June 1945, although it was not published until mid-October 1945. Consequently, it shows the residents of Birmingham at the end of World War 2. There is a separate service register for each ward which we understand shows the voters registered as absent service personnel, but unlike the Absent Voters list from the First World War it does not give details of the service person's rank or regiment.
As with previous years, the register is searchable by name and/or street. The register contains around 650,000 names. To search the register you will need to have purchased a voucher or a subscription, although no charge is made for searches. Each page view is charged at one page view credit.
We hope you find this new electoral register as useful as the earlier registers.

Hi,
Has anyone else noticed that there are quite a few streets missing off the 1945/6 electoral register? Couldn't find Pretoria Road, Corbyn road and a few others in Bordesley Green. Is it just me?

Macca

Parts of Small Heath, Yardley & Stirchley are missing from the 1945/6 electoral register publication, but MHD are working on this.

Tony as asked me to give you the answer to the problem with the "Release of 1945/6 Birmingham Electoral Register" the explanation is below. John H
Just to keep you up to date, I managed to miss the Yardley Division from the 1945/6 Electoral Roll, which means that the wards of Small Heath, Stechford and Yardley are just not there on the web. I am in the process of fixing the problem. I hope it will take me no more than 2 or 3 days to sort it out, but if anyone raises it on the forum I would be very grateful if you would let them know that I am aware of the omission and am in the process of sorting it out.

Re: Release of 1945/6 Birmingham Electoral Register - Yardley omission rectified

I am pleased to be able to tell you all that I have now rectified the omission of the Yardley Division from the 1945/6 Electoral Roll. Someone was using the book containing this division when I went to the library to collect it (before Christmas), so I moved on to 1950 and forgot that Yardley had not been completed. I have finished scanning 1950 and was about to start on the indexing this next release ... when a few of you noticed "a few streets are missing" (actually it was the omission of the whole of Yardley) from 1945 - so I went back to the library, got this volume, scanned it, indexed it and have put it up on the net tonight.

The wards that have now been added are Saltley, Small Heath, Stechford and Yardley.

I'm really very grateful for the comments you have made about the electoral roll, and also welcome any criticisms you may have as no-one gets it right all the time - least of all me!

Back