• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Reilly Claire

Elaine Hemming

master brummie
Hi

I'm having trouble understanding what this occupation information means on the 1921 census.

the person worked at Jays & Co Whole Wool Merchant in Cornwall Street Birmingham as a Shorthand Typist
is there possibility that some one could find out, what sort of Business this is and any records of Jays & Co
Many thanks your help

Attachments

• Claire Reilly Birmingham History past & Present - records.jpg
    Claire Reilly Birmingham History past & Present - records.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 20
Do you mean 'at present out of employment' ?

Information on the 1921 questions says that if you are out of work you should list your last employer. Everything else you appear to have listed correctly - job, company name and type of company.

Do you mean 'at present out of employment' ?

Information on the 1921 questions says that if you are out of work you should list your last employer. Everything else you appear to have listed correctly - job, company name and type of company.
Hi MWS - that is all the information i have - so does that mean she was not employed by them on the 1912 census and that she was still unemployed, when the census was done. I am doing this for a friend and that all she has - i have tried looking, but not finding anything.

Yes. I would interpret it as she was out of work at the time of the census and her last employer was Jay & Co, who were a firm of Whole Wool Merchants, where her job was Shorthand & Typewriter (typist).

It gives no indication of how long she has been out of work, it could have been a day or years.

Back