• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Register Office Broad St

It used to be a regular thing to see brides crossing the road for photos under the Colonnade. At least that was preserved after it was moved to the Peace Gardens.
I wonder how many weddings took place there?!
rosie.

It used to be a regular thing to see brides crossing the road for photos under the Colonnade. At least that was preserved after it was moved to the Peace Gardens.
I wonder how many weddings took place there?!
rosie.
Mine for one, Boxing Day 1970 :)

Oh dear! What's going to happen to the three 'blokes'. Was so pleased when they reappeared hope they don't disappear again.

Think the golden boys might be moved nearer the library. Maybe someone could update us. Viv.

Remember this interior well. But the artists impression makes it look much bigger than I remember. Hadn't realised the building was originally built for another purpose. Viv.

79E6458A-7E6E-4757-96A5-1DE599019689.jpegFC894058-212B-42C9-8B1F-B12125CB68F4.jpeg

My sister went to the college of Commerce in the 50's to learn shorthand and typing. The time it takes for me to put this on here I should have gone to.

I remember the register office in Easy Row and then the wedding parties would go across the road for photos in Chamberlain Square by the statue.

Here is an example. My wife's Aunt c1955

002.jpg

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

Last edited:
I was so nervous on my Wedding day on Boxing day 1970 at the Registry office that I couldn’t say impediment, took what seemed like forever to say it must have meant something I suppose though it’ll be our 50th anniversary this year.

February 84 for me. Reception at The Crown and wedding photographs at the collonade. I remember my wife told me not to have a drink before the ceremony. My father in law, insisted that I join him for a swift half at The Crown, as we waited. Who was I to say no, to my soon to be father in law? ;)

Back