• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Regina Drive, Perry Barr

Hi all

Just wanted to say, I'm the new owner and I couldn't be more delighted :)

Lot's of hard work ahead, restoring it to it's former glory

Hi all

Just wanted to say, I'm the new owner and I couldn't be more delighted :)

Lot's of hard work ahead, restoring it to it's former glory

hello dann and welcome to the forum...i can only say well done to your for restoring this fine building..birmingham needs more people like you....would you be so kind as to keep us all updated on developments please...the odd photo would be great...
all the best

lyn

Last edited:
Great news Dann regarding the restoration of Regina Lodge. Too many old and special houses are being lost these days.
Hope you will send some progress photos as you undertake this project.

I definitely will keep you updated. Right now it needs a complete overhaul and there have been problems with water damage in the house. Will send you some pics through as it is.

It's a massive project but one we're looking forward to. I imagine my family and I will be living there for quite some time :)

I definitely will keep you updated. Right now it needs a complete overhaul and there have been problems with water damage in the house. Will send you some pics through as it is.

It's a massive project but one we're looking forward to. I imagine my family and I will be living there for quite some time :)

thanks dann...much appreciated...

all the best

lyn

Hi guys, sorry for the delay it's been pretty hectic getting the house going I've attached some images of the outside and of the stained glass doors in the vestibule. Sadly the house was very much the worse for wear when we took it on so we're working very hard on it. IMAG0375.jpgIMAG0376.jpgIMAG0377.jpgIMAG0378.jpgIMAG0379.jpg

hello dann and thanks for the piccies that stained glass looks lovely..i am quite sure it will all look splendid when you have finished the work it is not something that can be rushed...

all the best and please keep in touch with us

lyn

Hi guys, sorry for the delay it's been pretty hectic getting the house going I've attached some images of the outside and of the stained glass doors in the vestibule. Sadly the house was very much the worse for wear when we took it on so we're working very hard on it. View attachment 100046View attachment 100047View attachment 100048View attachment 100049View attachment 100050

Stunning work Dann. So good to see the Lodge being cared for and so nicely restored. Look forward to your next report. Viv.

Hi could you please tell me what number Regina Lodge was?
My Mother lived at 46 Regina Drive in 1958 I think, I'm trying to find out which house she lived in
Thanks
Margaret

hi scarlett i am a bit confused with this one maybe someone else will know more but as far as i can see there were no houses at all in regina drive..if you go to post 23 you will see that the back gardens of teddington grove backed onto regina drive but apart from that i cant help..

lyn

Hi could you please tell me what number Regina Lodge was?
My Mother lived at 46 Regina Drive in 1958 I think, I'm trying to find out which house she lived in
Thanks
Margaret
Hi lyn... just noticed this post. There is only one house on Regina Drive, Birmingham and it is this one (1 Regina Drive). There is another Regina Drive in Walsall though, perhaps she lived there?

Hi - I'm new to this Forum and I have just found this thread about Regina Drive and the big house in the middle. I remember being told to go to that house by the security guard at the Greyhound Stadium in about 1975 as I wanted to help with the Greyhounds at weekends. He told me to go to the big house as one of the trainers who had dogs at the stadium was a man called Colin McNally. I went there and spoke to his wife Diana who said to be at the stadium guard hut on the next Saturday where they would see me and I could help walk the greyhounds. I worked for them whilst they remained at Perry Barr - they left about a year or so to train dogs at Cradley Heath. I then stayed at the same kennels and worked for Andy Agnew until they decided that the on site kennels would be closed down and the trainers would have to make their own arrangements to house the dogs that they had. I was also parading the dogs on race nights at this time - the trainers used to drive the dogs in in vans. I also remember Monday nights were Speedway nights in the summer and the sound of the bikes used to carry in the air and the smell of the fuel - I could hear and smell the racing in my back garden in Wilnecote Grove. Oh such lovely times.

Hi - I'm new to this Forum and I have just found this thread about Regina Drive and the big house in the middle. I remember being told to go to that house by the security guard at the Greyhound Stadium in about 1975 as I wanted to help with the Greyhounds at weekends. He told me to go to the big house as one of the trainers who had dogs at the stadium was a man called Colin McNally. I went there and spoke to his wife Diana who said to be at the stadium guard hut on the next Saturday where they would see me and I could help walk the greyhounds. I worked for them whilst they remained at Perry Barr - they left about a year or so to train dogs at Cradley Heath. I then stayed at the same kennels and worked for Andy Agnew until they decided that the on site kennels would be closed down and the trainers would have to make their own arrangements to house the dogs that they had. I was also parading the dogs on race nights at this time - the trainers used to drive the dogs in in vans. I also remember Monday nights were Speedway nights in the summer and the sound of the bikes used to carry in the air and the smell of the fuel - I could hear and smell the racing in my back garden in Wilnecote Grove. Oh such lovely times.

Hi Izzy, we have a Thread for Greyhound Racing but not much info on it. What years did you work at Perry Barr? I have a few programes.

No, I am sure the cafe went a long time ago.
There are still a couple of little firms at the end of Regina Drive.
I can remember a CoffinYard at the end, before the park.. We used to push a old pram with sacks to collect the wood off cuts , they were piled high in the yard of the works. We filled sacks and put them in the pram, when we got home (Franchise Street) it was stacked neatly into the woodshed to await burning.
Does anyone else remember this, must have been in the 50’s.

Back