• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

regiment identification

Topsy

master brummie
He was stationed in India at the time date approx. 1916 lived in Birmingham before signing up Harry Gordon Griffiths 1884

T opsy
A relative of mine served in India around the same time and i have some photographs showing a similar uniform which were forwarded to me.
I will try and attach photos and see if i can find the information as to which regiment he was in.
Jeoffry.

Here goes with the photograph
Jeoffry
ps just need to go through my correspondence to see if i have the information as to which regiment

Topsy this may take me a few days.
I have loads of information that was sent to me regarding my Shrive ancestors that I have to read everything to find if the regiment is mentioned
Please bear with me and i will get back to you as soon as i can.
Jeoffry

Thanks Jeoffrey,

My grandfather was in the Bengal area but I think that photo was taken in Madras.
Take your time, it's taken us 90yrs to start looking at there time, so what a few days or more.
Hilary

Hilary
firstly do you think the shoulder badges are the same.If they are i will e mail my relative to see if they have the ingformation to hand rather than take days ploughing through all my correspondence.
Let me know what you t hink
Jeoffry

Topsy, His rank is shown by his 3 stripes wth a crown above so his rank would be Quartermaster Sergeant or Staff Sergeant, could not make out the shoulder badge. Lem.

Hi Lem

I got my trusty magnifying glass out, it's to letters either MW, NW, or RW
does that help

Hilary

Hilary
Heard back from my relative and he says my ancestor served in the Royal Artillery in India during the same time period as yours did.

He also thinks your ancestor was a Staff Sergeant.
Not sure if this helps
Jeoffry

Thank You All so much, I think every bit of information helps.

I found a 1901 census for a Harry Griffiths - 18 - born Birmingham

At South Denes Barracks, Yarmouth, Norfolk

Would this fit for the RW and RA, where else do you suggest I look for more information.

Hilary

The shoulder title for the Royal Warwicks can be seen below. The Artillery shoulder titles would be RHA or RGA.

There is a Medal Index card on Ancestry UK for a Driver Harry G Griffiths, service number 33392. He was a Regular pre-WW1 soldier serving with the 3rd Brigade Royal Horse Artillery (RHA). He was an original Old Contemptible going on active service on 15 August 1914.

Terry

Thank You Len and Terry,

Interesting information.
All I know is he was stationed in India, he married my grandmother Madras 1910 Also on my father birth cert. 1914 his occupation is Overseas PWD stationed at Fort St George, Madras the Garrison Caplain looks like H W Atkins.

He returned to Birmingham I think 1927

Would this fit with the information on the medal card

Thank You
Hilary

Back