• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Regent Park Tavern Small Heath

ilovecats128

Hi All
I'm new to this group, and wondered if anyone has a photo of Regent Park Tavern, 215 Coventry Rd, Small Heath, B'ham.
I have an ancestor who ran the pub in 1911 with his family.
I would love to hear from you. Thank you.

A search will also mention Coventry Road police station and I believe some mention of the pub is there.

Hi All
I'm new to this group, and wondered if anyone has a photo of Regent Park Tavern, 215 Coventry Rd, Small Heath, B'ham.
A search suggests there is no photo of the Regent Park Tavern on the forum. The aerial view below shows Regents Park Road in 1937. If the pub was still there in 1937 I suppose one of the buildings is the pub, but looking at old maps I cannot determine which one it is. Maybe someone can .... :)
RegentParkRd.jpg

The image is an enlargement of part of an aerial view of the whole district and is from

Trouble is that the Regent Park tavern is not very close to Regent Park road, but on the corner of Herbert road, opposite the Greenway Arms

map c1950 showing regent park tavern.jpg

Thanks Mike. The Greenway Arms is behind the trolleybus in the pic below so the front of the pub showing on the right must be the Regent Park Tavern.
index.php

image only visible if logged in
from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/then-now.44065/post-601422
and https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ught-in-our-old-street-pics.41947/post-601348

Last edited:
A search suggests there is no photo of the Regent Park Tavern on the forum. The aerial view below shows Regents Park Road in 1937. If the pub was still there in 1937 I suppose one of the buildings is the pub, but looking at old maps I cannot determine which one it is. Maybe someone can .... :)
View attachment 132875

The image is an enlargement of part of an aerial view of the whole district and is from
Thank you for your help

Thanks Mike. The Greenway Arms is behind the trolleybus in the pic below so the front of the pub showing on the right must be the Regent Park Tavern.
index.php

image only visible if logged in
from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/then-now.44065/post-601422
and https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ught-in-our-old-street-pics.41947/post-601348
I'm confused. Were there two separate pubs, the Regent Inn and the Regent Park Tavern, or did one just change its name over time?

I'm confused. Were there two separate pubs, the Regent Inn and the Regent Park Tavern, or did one just change its name over time?
Was the Regent Park Tavern on Coventry Road, and therefore not the same as the Regent Inn shown in one photo as probably on the corner of Herbert Road and Regents Park Road?

Which photo is this?. I don't think there was any pub on the corner of Regent Park Road. Certainly Kellys for1940 does not list one

Mike & Didypie

The Regents Park Tavern was on the corner of Coventry Road and Herbert Road at 215 Coventry Road and the Regent Inn was on the corner of Herbert Road and Regent Park Road at 121 -123 Herbert Road.

Which photo is this?. I don't think there was any pub on the corner of Regent Park Road. Certainly Kellys for1940 does not list one
Post 16 by berniew in the Herbert Road, Small Heath thread. Sorry I don't know how to include the quote and photo.

Thanks for clarifying that for me Phil. I couldn't quite get my head around the combination of Herbert Road, "Regent" and "corners".

Post 16 by berniew in the Herbert Road, Small Heath thread. Sorry I don't know how to include the quote and photo.
Well spotted Didypie in the post from 2013 .... here is the quote with the pic.
Regents park Road 159 from coventry Road.jpgRegents Park Road looking from Coventry Road the pub at the end of the picture is on the corner of Herbert Road the Regent Inn
index.php

Hi All
Hi I've been doing a genealogy deep dive into areas of my family tree and today discovered my great great aunt Lydia and her husband George Wright were listed in the 1925 Electoral Register at Regent Park Tavern 215 Coventry Road. Are they the people you've also discovered at this address or perhaps they took over The Regent Park Tavern from the folk you're looking for/at?

hi all. The photo on post #14 is very familiar to me, in the shops on the left in the 1950s were a Tv shop where we stood in the rain to watch the coronation also a green grocers run by my school mate Barry Saunders parents, lower down next to the pub was our local barber who could do any style as long as it was short back and sides. regards Acklam19.

Back