• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rednal House

White Fox

Brummie babby
Looking for details / picture of Rednal House, Rednal. From the maps it looks as if it was on the Lickey Road between Leach Green Lane and Edgewood Road.
1674746889243.png

Is this the Oratory Retreat House?
No. Oratory house is nearer the Lickeys. Years ago I had a friend whose parents were caretakers at Oratory House so have had a good look around! Yes Cardinal Newman is buried there. Sorry not a good map but Oratory House bottom left. Rednal House top right.

Attachments

• Screenshot (42).png
    Screenshot (42).png
    439.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
No. Oratory house is nearer the Lickeys. Years ago I had a friend whose parents were caretakers at Oratory House so have had a good look around! Yes Cardinal Newman is buried there. Sorry not a good map but Oratory House bottom left. Rednal House top right.
I believe Cardinal Newman was buried at Oratory Retreat. He died in 1890.
Pedrocut, you are correct Newman was buried there but when made a Saint his remains were removed.

There were also graves of nuns at Oratory House, and in 1960's tales of hauntings! Chairs being moved around in the Chapel and a builder working on renovations drove off at great speed "never" to be seen again, leaving behind his work tools!

Back