• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Redhouse upholstery

FRH

proper brummie kid
Does anyone remember a Jewish furniture upholsterer in Gooch Street in the 1950's. There was also a small pressings factory in the yard and 2 houses. The houses were # 1 & # 2/199 Gooch Street. Any help would be appreciated.

The electoral roll gives Frederick & Mary Heath as being at 2 back 199 Gooch St in 1950-57. 1 back 199 is not listed, presumably as it was purely commercial premises

The electoral roll gives Frederick & Mary Heath as being at 2 back 199 Gooch St in 1950-57. 1 back 199 is not listed, presumably as it was purely commercial premises

Hi mikejee, Thanks for that. Fred & Mary Heath were my parents. There was a house next to our's but I'm not sure what it backed onto. There was an old lady whose Christian name was Nelly. She was quite well known in the area as she always used to carry her shopping bag around the shops begging for whatever she could get. We moved to Bartley Green in 1957. I was particularly interested n the press shop in the yard as I spent most of my adult life (43 years) in press shops and manufacturing companies until retiring in 2009. Got any ideas how I could find out the name of the company?

The Kellys for 1955 does not list a 199 (or back of) at all. However Benjamin Redhouse, house furnisher is listed as 197. Perhaps he had an entrance at 197 as well. Next to that is listed T.R,Clarke & son, wood turners and Ansell & Rogers, sheet metal workers, both at 197½. It looks to me like Ansell & Rogers might be who you are looking for

The Kellys for 1955 does not list a 199 (or back of) at all. However Benjamin Redhouse, house furnisher is listed as 197. Perhaps he had an entrance at 197 as well. Next to that is listed T.R,Clarke & son, wood turners and Ansell & Rogers, sheet metal workers, both at 197½. It looks to me like Ansell & Rogers might be who you are looking for

Benjamin Redhouse is the upholsterer. Even now I remember him with a mouth full of tacks as he talked. He used to give me and my brother farthings he found in the chairs he was working on. Ansell &Rogers would have been the factory we were thinking of. Many thanks Mike.

Back