• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Redhill Terrace, Hay Mills

Thank you
Hi, Never lived in this area but, my dad worked in Redhill Rd at CWS Cabinet, it became Carters when Co-op move to Shirley. You mention a family called Mole in the terrace, there was a Frankie Mole who worked at WB in Amington Rd. led a pop group in 1960's and not a bad footballer for a little-un. He would be nigh on eighty now!

Hi Yes if I remember right the CWS factory was on the corner of Arthur road and Redhill road everything they made was wooden. When I was a kid I loved the smell that came from the factory. Frankie Mole was no relation to the moles who lived in Redhill Terrace I believe frank mole and his family lived in Francis Road Hay mills.

Frankie Mole and his brothers Kenny, John and David lived at 15 George Road, Hay Mills and I (Keith Thomas) lived and was born at number 19 and Alan Smith lived at number 21. Frankie, Kenny, myself and Alan all hung out together until we all married and I eventually left Brum in 1975. Frankie's dad (Frank Mole also) is pictured here George Road VE day street party on the extreme left with his shirt sleeves rolled up. I do know that both Frankie and David died many years ago.

Last edited:
Kenny Mole was a year older than me we played football for the school at the same time he was a very good player, not so me.

As i said I was a year younger than Kenny I did make the team that year ( 2 games ) but my time was the next year. I also played in the Bierton road team once or twice. I also remember playing in the boys brigade team with him. Thats a great photo you have posted I remember a lot of the faces but not the names. I do remember Kieth Dumbleton and I think Alan Banister was in it.

Frankie Mole and his brothers Kenny, John and David lived at 15 George Road, Hay Mills and I (Keith Thomas) lived and was born at number 19 and Alan Smith lived at number 21. Frankie, Kenny, myself and Alan all hung out together until we all married and I eventually left Brum in 1975. Frankie's dad (Frank Mole also) is pictured here George Road VE day street party on the extreme left with his shirt sleeves rolled up. I do know that both Frankie and David died many years ago.
I remember Frankie and his family . I lived at 33 George Road from approx 1946 to 1952 and we were the Knight family . I am John and at that time I was 4 yrs old and my brother Robert was 2 . One of my fondest memories of Frankie was one Christmas when we were about 8 years old . At that time Frankie was saying he did not believe in Father Christmas . In our house we had an old radiogram and our dad had been given a mike which he used to speak through the speakers .One day dad asked us all to come into our back room on some pretext . He had set up the radio , and with the mike, which was in the kitchen , he started ' broadcasting ' announcing that he was Father Christmas . There were six or seven o us in the room and dad said in a very deep voice ' Frankie Mole , why don't you believe in me .I'll see to it you get no presents ' . As long as I live I will never forget the look on Frankie's face .
I went to Redhill Road school and we used to walk towards Yardley to play football with a teacher and we would play on latch and Bachelors ground . I remember the Dumbletons and was friendly with Barry Hill who lived about 3 doors away and also remember Lester lyndon . We left George Road in 1952 and had some great memories .

I lived on Redhill Road from 1974 to 1984 and went to Redhill School. It was the happiest time of my life, carefree,risky, friendly and adventurous. We used to play football and cricket on Arthur Rd.

Mr parents ran the grocery called The Continental Food store. My favourite teacher was Mr Prince, a legend. I'm on the road now as I type this. The character has gone. Carter's Refrigerator company has been knocked down. The impermanent nature of existence amazes me.

Back