• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rededication Ceremony South African War Memorial Cannon Hill Park

subotone

'OLDBILL'
Hi

Dont know if anyone has posted this information else where. Saturday 8th December 2012 at 11am there will be a re dedication ceremony for the South African Campaign memorial in Cannon Hill Park. The memorial has undergone renovation work. There will be displays and Warwickshire Militia artefact's, with the Die Hard Company Re enactment and community organisations.

Sounds like a good day out.

Tony

Thanks for letting us know Tony, have to confess I didn't realise that is what the memorial in Cannon Hill was for - not been there many times, but had noticed it in passing, so I have learnt something today!
sue

Regarding the re-dedication of the memorial. I will be assisting Dave Vaux with his display about the Royal Warwickshire Birmingham men who served in the Boer War.
It will be extremely interesting

Regards

Terry

No thankyou. Too hard to have a positive opinion about this one. I suppose the boys performed with bravery as always.

There was a discussion about this on the Carl Chinn Sunday show on radio WM but unfortunately we had to go out. I think there is some way of listening in to previous show?. Hope all goes well Terry?.

Hi, I noticed the information relating to Boer War Memorial on Cannon Hill and felt that I must post a reply. I collect medals and relics from that campaign.
Whilst in London recently I visited an Antique and Militaria shop looking for interesting medals. I have been on the lookout for a Queens South Africa (Boer War) Medal to the Warickshire Regiment for some time. Amongst the store's medals I found one. Whats more it was named to a Private Ward, my surname. Needless to say I purchased it. After returning to Australia I had it researched. It was with great excitement that I found the chap was from Aston, the same suburb that our Ward family lived. As of yet I can't confirm he is related, but given the coincidence of me finding it I live in hope. I have adopted him anyway.
I was in Birmingham for Armed Forces Day 2013 and had a great time. The staff at the Hall of Memory couldn't have been more helpful. George Ward Melbourne

My Uncle Harry Voyce (1881-1914)from Wellington Road Handsworth was in the Boer War. He was in the Coldstream Guards, between the wars was a police man on the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. He was killed in France in December 1914. I wish I could find out how old he was when he joined the Coldstream Guards.I am informed by them it will cost me £30 to get his army record. Can't quite decide yet whether or not to splash out on this.

According to Ancestry Records he served in the Boer war from 1899 to 1902 so he would have been 18 when he joined that conflict. Hope this helps.
Janice

According to Ancestry Records he served in the Boer war from 1899 to 1902 so he would have been 18 when he joined that conflict. Hope this helps.
Janice

Yes thank you for that and I have that information already. Also in the 1891 census he was in the Coldstream Barracks in Hanover Square so could have come home injured. I may have to send for his record to know all the details.

Back