• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Arthur Young. Red Warrior Coaches / Red Warrior Club

Paul33

master brummie
Interested in absolutely any info relating to RED WARRIOR COACHES (Kellys 1934 - 1944) of 73/74 Ashted Row and later 65/67 Hurst Street.

Also RED WARRIOR CLUB in Earlswood (post WW2 ?). Where was it, what was it, who ran it, photos, info, etc, etc.

Any help appreciated.

The Red Warrior Club was on the L/hand side of the main road through Eariswood past the Red Lion pub on the R/hand side if you follow the road you come to a T junction turn right there and you will come to Wood End and the main road to Redditch.

Last edited:
Paul33, Do you live in Brum?, if you go to Shirley at a pub named The Three Maypoles? take the L/hand fork into Rumbush Lane go forward and it becomes Foreshaw Heath Rd the Red Warrior was on the L/hand side just past The Reservoir pub on the R/hand side of the road, the club & the coachs were owned by Arthur Young who i beleive was declared bankrupt so the club & coachs were finished, i hope you can make sense of these directions.

Last edited:
That's brilliant mate ...... and any more info you might have would be great.

Arthur Young was my Grandfather's uncle and quite a character by all accounts ...... that's why I'm keen to find out all I can.

I used to be in brum but now exiled in Peterborough.

Paul Young

Thanks mariew for sharing the photo they look as though they naving are a good time despite the club having a dodgy reputation, it was mainly drunkeness and fighting it was soon sorted out, the Earlswood residents did not like having a club in their backyard.

Still looking for any recollections, photos, anything on this one.

Local trade directories have the club name as RED WARRIORS SPORTSMENS CLUB and it seems to vanish from phone books in 1971 ...... are the buildings still there and is it operating as something else now ?

Any more on ARTHUR YOUNG who I am trying to research ?

I believe he was jailed around wartime for tax evasion relating to the RED WARRIOR COACHES business and then went bankrupt after the club closed (or vice-versa).

Are there any records that would enable me to check up on and verify the criminal/bankruptcy records ?

Paul33, There are no buildings left, if my memory is good, the club was a mainly wooden structure, the resident of Earlswood i got in touch with said a neighbour had some bits of foundations in his garden, great photos of the coach`s i remember them well. Len.

Hello, I am interested in the photos you have of the Red Warrior Club i went to the club on works trips to dances there, it was owned by Arthur Young who had previously owned Red Warrior Coach`s, i realize its a couple years since you posted, but if you could help i would be pleased, Regards L.C. Paul33, I will send you a PM with his email address, copy of the email i sent to Bill living in Earleswood, Len.

Hello, I am interested in the photos you have of the Red Warrior Club i went to the club on works trips to dances there, it was owned by Arthur Young who had previously owned Red Warrior Coach`s, i realize its a couple years since you posted, but if you could help i would be pleased, Regards L.C. Paul33, I will send you a PM with his email address. Len.

I think I am right with the following info red warrior coaches in hurst street were taken over by tommy allen who owned allenways and this became allenways garage tommy sold to the wetherhogg family who continued to operate as allenways they in turn sold to dave watkis who allready owned claribells and still operate as claribels in tile cross bham

Back