• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Red Lion Thimble Mill Lane Nechells

Suze

master brummie
Hi all.Just found on another thread,that this pub was in the street where my family lived at the end of the 19th century.
Any photo's of Thimble Mill Lane or the pub please,or history of the pub. Were there any other pubs in that road please.

Suze
In early years it was sometimes described as no 15 Thimble Mill Lane, sometimes as no 17 and later as 16-17. It was there from at least 1855. between 1915 and 1921 it was renumbered 272 . Some landlords were:

1855-62 William Ford
1868 Mrs Lucina Wiggin
1872-73 Thomas Phipps
1876-84 Henry Greatrex
1888 Samuel Walker
1890 Alfred Baker
1892 Albert Henry Lees
1895-99 Thomas Mason
1900 Charles Butler
1903-5 Charles Henry Price
1908 Francis H.Wood
1912-15 Arthur Percy Bowerman
1921 Matthew George Pittaway
1925-33 William Price
1935-7 Clifford Taylor
1938-40 William Mason
1943 Mrs Letitia Annie Acocks
1944-5 Bert Thomas Franklin
The pub disappeared between 1966 and 1967. In later years directories did not list publicans names. Judging by the absence of the address in the 1950 electoral roll, it looks possible that the pub was not being lived in at that date and the licensee lived elsewhere.
There was also , in the 19th century The Prince of Wales in the road and at least three described as beer retailers, which could have been either on– or off-licensees.
mike

Thanks Mike.
I have noticed that you are a real mine of information. What's an "on " license..in fact ,what's an "off" license. We use the term,but don't know what it means.
Re "Bateman" Are they a West Mids arm of that name,because there are lots of " Bateman's" in Herts (Wilstone and surrounding villages)

Hi Suze
An on- licence means they can serve alcohol for drinking on ( or off) the premises, whereas an off licence means they can only sell it for taking away , ie like a shop. Unfortunately in the directories (particularly the earlier ones) many places are descrinbed just as "beer retailer", which can mean either like a licensed shop, or like a pub, but one which only normally serves beer (there were many like that around 1900 or earlier), but which, though it has a name, this is not listed in the directory.
The Batemans I have links with are from Worcestershire.
Mike

The Red Lion Pub on the corner of Thimble Mill Lane and High Park Street.
I remember it well.
It was the hang out of the local bookie Charlie Connor. He always had a half empty glass of beer on the bar and every few minutes he would come out and see if anyone was waiting to put a bet on.
One foggy day my uncle called me to go and put a bet on for him. I must have been 8 or 9 at the time and he gave me a piece of folded paper with a coin inside. I was told to go to the pub not to his house in Railway Terrace.
I was waiting outside the pub door in High park Street when he came out but before I could give him the bet there was a shout of “cops” and he disappeared back inside.
The next time I was there to give him a bet he remembered me and thought I was the one who called out “cops” and gave me halfacrown. That was a lot of money then.
Bob S

The Red Lion Pub on the corner of Thimble Mill Lane and High Park Street.
I remember it well.
It was the hang out of the local bookie Charlie Connor. He always had a half empty glass of beer on the bar and every few minutes he would come out and see if anyone was waiting to put a bet on.
One foggy day my uncle called me to go and put a bet on for him. I must have been 8 or 9 at the time and he gave me a piece of folded paper with a coin inside. I was told to go to the pub not to his house in Railway Terrace.
I was waiting outside the pub door in High park Street when he came out but before I could give him the bet there was a shout of “cops” and he disappeared back inside.
The next time I was there to give him a bet he remembered me and thought I was the one who called out “cops” and gave me halfacrown. That was a lot of money then.
Bob S
We hear some interesting stories on this site dont we? Is Long Acre still mostly houses?

Last edited:
Sorry, can't help you with the state of Long Acre. I have lived in Australia since 1968.
I lived opposite St Josephs Churchyard which is now a chinese grocery warehouse I believe.
Regards
Bob

Back