• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recruitment in the Boer War

Ian Binnie

knowlegable brummie
Good morning,
I am doing some research on the Birmingham and the Boer War. Clearly a lot of Brummies volunteered to serve with both the regular army and the various volunteer groups (mounted or otherwise). Can any members share any information on this or point me to any sources please?

Good morning,
I am doing some research on the Birmingham and the Boer War. Clearly a lot of Brummies volunteered to serve with both the regular army and the various volunteer groups (mounted or otherwise). Can any members share any information on this or point me to any sources please?
Would this be a help?

I suppose most from Birmingham would associate the Boer War with Joseph Chamberlain’s controversial service as Secretary of State for the Colonies.

....Promoting a variety of schemes to build up the Empire in Asia, Africa, and the West Indies. He had major responsibility for causing the Second Boer War (1899–1902) in South Africa and was the government minister most responsible for the war effort.”

I wonder if he had an effect on the recruitment of Birmingham men?

Hi all I see that on the war memorial it shows my ancestor Fredrick Mole 5378 South Staffs reg who died of Enteric fever in Fraserburg S A on the 21. 5. 02 he joined on the 25. 10. 1899 aged 18 yrs and 4 months at the time he was living at 7. Beach Terrace Watery Lane Birmingham and was a Mineral water maker which was in Saltley Road
Regards Acklam19.

Back