• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recreation Grounds

Hi Astonian
Congrats from me - hope you had a good day and didn't get too drunk!!!
I left Stechford in 1957 although my father continued to be Parkie travelling on two buses from Hall Green. I remember the Bakery well. I have often told these two tales to my children ............. boring!
Us kids used to hang around the Bakery gates in Manor Road at teatime for when the drivers came back off their deliveries. If there were any cakes left, some would hand 'em out to us and it was great to take home - felt like we'd won a trophy ..... posh folks cakes!! Then we were brought back to earth as we had to take bucket and shovel to get the horse muck!!!
Then there was the time that I moved into my brother's room on the front of the house in Lyndon Road. One night I woke to see white shapes floating in the air. My Mam came in and quietened me down but I insisted in having the window covered when I went to bed. A few weeks later, Mam called me upstairs to the room and pointed across the road ..... on the bakery roof were some of the workers having lunch and/or a fag break.

Dressed in white overalls!?!?!?!

Hello Astonian, Congratulations on your great achievement.
Sheila and stitcher.

My cousin rang today ,asked if i could remember a small play ground that we played on,it was i think near William street or bishogate street of Bath row Lady wood.It only had a few swings and a roundabout.It was a small area with railings round,can anyone help please.

Mine were Billesley Common and Chinnbrook Rec along with The Dingles.

Great times were had though I jiggered up my knee for all time when riding my push bike up a steep bank out of the River Cole [in The Dingles]. Never told my Mom where I did it as I was not supposed to be down there.
I used to like launching off that as if it were a ramp!
we used to make dens in the valley end of the common, the top end was far too exposed!

Back