• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Records or Music You Thought You Didn't Like

Williamstreeter

master brummie
Hello folks I've started this thread after thinking very early this morning , in the 60's I used to wince when Pictures of Matchstick Men came on the tv or radio . I quite enjoy it now . A few more that I didn't like but quite cherish now are, Tender Trap ,It Was A Very Good Year by Frank Sinatra. Theme tune to Desert Island Discs , I'm sure I can many more , these views of mine are from my schooldays . I have been for many years now an avid fan of Sinatra , listen to his records no long intro's the music starts bang he's singing what a bloke . I'd be interested what your hate loves of music are .

I agree, it's funny how your taste in music changes, although saying that I still like songs I liked as a child! I love Dean Martin now but would have thought him old fashioned when I was young. I'd say my taste has got broader as I've got older.

John,

With "music" you've left the door wide open and I could fill a whole book with stuff that I didn't like, plus that which I thought was musically worthless - atonal stuff such as Schoenberg and Alban Berg, it's simply tuneless, and electronic dance music. As a child I didn't like Money is the root of all evil, which they used to play at the fair in Sparkhill Park, and Viva Espana, which drives most thinking musicians mad! Add to that most pop music written after about 1990, though there are the occasional ones into which a little bit of effort was put. :)

Maurice :cool:

John,

With "music" you've left the door wide open and I could fill a whole book with stuff that I didn't like, plus that which I thought was musically worthless - atonal stuff such as Schoenberg and Alban Berg, it's simply tuneless, and electronic dance music. As a child I didn't like Money is the root of all evil, which they used to play at the fair in Sparkhill Park, and Viva Espana, which drives most thinking musicians mad! Add to that most pop music written after about 1990, though there are the occasional ones into which a little bit of effort was put. :)

Both Money and Viva I couldn't agree more with you , plus pop music after 1990 . I can't comment on Schoenberg or Alban Berg as I know nothing about them , just jumping to Classical music though the bit I do know I've not heard anything bad yet , still ploughing through classical .

I don't really think there's anything I didn't like that I do now. There's a lot of old stuff that is just bland. It's not irritating but most of the time you can't remember it 3 minutes later. I haven't kept up so much over the last 10 years or so but what I do hear doesn't seem to be much of a change from what I used to know.
Dance music doesn't change much except that for a while people could dance much faster than they had for a while. The instruments change and the newer ones can manage faster and more metronomic beats than the old orchestra types would have dreamed of but it's dance music and not really meant for those that don't dance.

John,

Do you understand modern music, rap, hip hop, garage, shed, semi detached it all seems to be tuneless, loud, people playing the right notes but not in the right order, which leads me on to John Cages 4.33, nuff said. Strangely enough there are actually quite a lot of pieces of music that on first hearing I did not like, but they grew on me and there were those pieces of music that from first hearing to this current time are on my desert island discs list. Dislikes: Tammy,The Birdie Song, Y Viva Espana, True by Spandau Ballet, now you have got me going, I could go on all day, the list is endless.

Bob

Bob,

Is there anything to understand in that loud brash modern stuff? I don't think so, it is just noise to dance to. I regard John Cage 4.33 as just a huge joke and they have even set up one to play for goodness knows how many years now in Germany. Absolutely pointless. All day, all week more likely!

Last edited:
Do you understand modern music, rap, hip hop, garage, shed, semi detached it all seems to be tuneless, loud, people playing the right notes but not in the right order, which leads me on to John Cages 4.33, nuff said. Strangely enough there are actually quite a lot of pieces of music that on first hearing I did not like, but they grew on me and there were those pieces of music that from first hearing to this current time are on my desert island discs list. Dislikes: Tammy,The Birdie Song, Y Viva Espana, True by Spandau Ballet, now you have got me going, I could go on all day, the list is endless.

Bob
As long as I can remember people have called "modern music" tuneless and such. I've heard they used to say the same long before I was born. All it really means is that whoever's saying it thinks everything was so much better when they were young and could sing along and dance to the music.
Sometimes you get people that try to experiment so much that only a few will say how great it is and most of us will either say it's crap or try to figure out what people see in it.
Quit saying what you won't listen to on principle and tell us what you do like.

i did not like early Leonard Cohen.music. but as he got older,i like his golden voice :grinning:
I always loved Leonard Cohen right back to the 60s
I saw him in concert a few times over the years including his last tour in his eighties. A wonderful performer always performed with really accomplished musicians and backing singers.
I loved his self deprecation and appreciation of his audience.

Wam,

The real test is are people still playing it 30 or 40 years later? Looking back 100 years, both Debussy & Ravel were modern and some decried their works, but they have consistently proved popular in concert halls, and have been used as models for much later music, even today. By contrast, how often does Schoenberg and Alban Berg get performed outside places like the Wigmore Hall?

Tunes that were written in the 20s, 30s and early 40s became known as standards and are still popular for dancing & performances today. For example, Dancing in the Dark was written way back in 1931, yet the version by Diana Krall is played almost daily on our local radio station. There has to be a decent melody there otherwise it is forgotten almost as quickly as it was written.

Sometimes you hear a song (Don`t be Cruel Elvis ) or a piece of music ( Canon in D Pachelbel ) & it immediately resonates with you. On the other hand Rap is c..p & most modern songs you will struggle to understand what they`re `singing`. Val Doonican, Sinatra, Dean Martin were always good value.

I agree with Smudger in that a lot of times a certain song immediately appeals to you, but with others you have to hear them a few times and they grow on you. I am probably the least 'snobbish' person you could meet as regards music... I like most genres, with a couple of exceptions. Music is very personal and appeals to people on many different levels and I don't think it's fair for anyone to say it's c..p just because they don't like it . I think on the whole 'new' music appeals to young people, there's something in it that resonates in them and that's how it should be. My motto is...If it's good I like it!!

I remember liking music in my younger days that I kept to myself because it wasn't popular with my contemporaries at the time. The older I got the more confident I became of admitting to and sharing my music choices,which have always been and still are eclectic. An example of what I am talking about was Neil Diamond, who when I was at college in the early 70's was not popular with my fellow students, but I really liked his music but didn't admit to it. I still love his music.

Bob
Bob I couldn't agree more with your list of dislikes some of those used to make me cringe every time I heard them .

Back