• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Record shops in Bham

Funny how things come back to you, BUT re record shops.There was a shop downtown I cant remember just where, BUT as a teenager I was always chatting up the "BIRDS" GIRLS!! There was working at this record shop one I fancied, one day I went after having a meal and I got talking to her, she said "You just had sausage and chips didnt you?" talk about been shot down in flames!!!
should have had some 1600146951789.png1600147003617.png:grinning:
John i once asked a bird out when i was young. "she said i dont go out with scruffs "i will always remember that remark .the snooty cow.

thats a nice sketch...what years are you talking about as someone maybe able to check kellys directories to find the number of the shop on the high st...chances are building could at least be standing

lyn
Thanks Lyn. I must have visited the shop around 1971 ... any help much appreciated!

I used to mostly buy my records from HMV in Town, as the 82 stopped almost outside there, I would either jump off and go straight in or go in before catching the bus home. Sometimes brought my reggae records from Don Christie by the Bull Ring bus station, and Reddingtons Rare Records.

I lived just over the border in Bearwood, where we had Woolies and two independent record shops, Pied Piper at the top of Poplar Road, which closed down around 1979/80 and one on Sandon Road where I would spend hours going through the boxes of singles finding ones to add to my collection. I remember especially buying two records from there, I had some money for Christmas 1980 and raced down to that shop to buy the cassette of Signing Off, UB40's first album as I had been a fan since the first time I heard Food for Thought. I still am a huge fan of them and have seen them live many, many times. The other one was a song that clubbers of the early to mid 80's will remember well, it was called Kiss Me by Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy. I tried everywhere to get the 12" of this record, and mentioned it in the shop one Saturday, I'll order it for you the assistant said and the next week if was there waiting for me, I raced home that day and it didn't come off my stereo for weeks.

I used to mostly buy my records from HMV in Town, as the 82 stopped almost outside there, I would either jump off and go straight in or go in before catching the bus home. Sometimes brought my reggae records from Don Christie by the Bull Ring bus station, and Reddingtons Rare Records.

I lived just over the border in Bearwood, where we had Woolies and two independent record shops, Pied Piper at the top of Poplar Road, which closed down around 1979/80 and one on Sandon Road where I would spend hours going through the boxes of singles finding ones to add to my collection. I remember especially buying two records from there, I had some money for Christmas 1980 and raced down to that shop to buy the cassette of Signing Off, UB40's first album as I had been a fan since the first time I heard Food for Thought. I still am a huge fan of them and have seen them live many, many times. The other one was a song that clubbers of the early to mid 80's will remember well, it was called Kiss Me by Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy. I tried everywhere to get the 12" of this record, and mentioned it in the shop one Saturday, I'll order it for you the assistant said and the next week if was there waiting for me, I raced home that day and it didn't come off my stereo for weeks.

Great memories SmethwickGirl. I think we were all obsessed with “Kiss me” at that time... if I went into my fave club, Boogies, and it was playing I knew I was in for a good night!! It was very much a Brummie song. Lynn.

Great memories SmethwickGirl. I think we were all obsessed with “Kiss me” at that time... if I went into my fave club, Boogies, and it was playing I knew I was in for a good night!! It was very much a Brummie song. Lynn.
Same here Lynn and thank you for the nice comments.

If I went into Faces which was my favourite club and it was played, it always ended up being a good night, don't know why, it just made me feel happy.

I agree it was very much a Brummie club song, there was also another song very like it around at the same time called Welcome to the Monkey House and I can't remember who that was by, but I know if both songs were played, we were straight on the dance floor. Great times, wouldn't have missed them for anything.

Same here Lynn and thank you for the nice comments.

If I went into Faces which was my favourite club and it was played, it always ended up being a good night, don't know why, it just made me feel happy.

I agree it was very much a Brummie club song, there was also another song very like it around at the same time called Welcome to the Monkey House and I can't remember who that was by, but I know if both songs were played, we were straight on the dance floor. Great times, wouldn't have missed them for anything.

Funny you should say that, I was going to say the other song I loved was Monkey House by Animal Magnet!! Me and my friend had a special dance for that, I can remember our feet (in our pointed shoes bought from the Oasis market) doing the moves! :heart_eyes: Yes, very happy days.
Lynn.

Funny you should say that, I was going to say the other song I loved was Monkey House by Animal Magnet!! Me and my friend had a special dance for that, I can remember our feet (in our pointed shoes bought from the Oasis market) doing the moves! :heart_eyes: Yes, very happy days.
Lynn.

Yes, we had a special dance to it as well, sort of going backwards and forwards standing facing your mate, I used to be big headed and spin round while doing the dance and my mate Tina used to moan at me and call me a big head!

Happy, happy days

Yes, we had a special dance to it as well, sort of going backwards and forwards standing facing your mate, I used to be big headed and spin round while doing the dance and my mate Tina used to moan at me and call me a big head!

Happy, happy days

That made me laugh SmethwickGirl, that was exactly the dance we did!! And yes I too thought I was the Bees knees when I was doing it! You don't think it's ever going to end do you? And now nearly 40 years later...where did those days go
Lynn.

Reddingtons record shop , closing down sale another little bit of history gone .
use to go in there regularly.

Attachments

• C70710F1-E91A-4789-8B9C-41C97178B20D.jpeg
    C70710F1-E91A-4789-8B9C-41C97178B20D.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 8
Diskery, also Matty and Rhodes on Broad St . Once I bought a record and I'd never heard it before purchase when I got it home thought it proved a good buy .

From Soho road, go down the hill of Rookery road, on the right hand side there was 'The Record Shop' at 112 Rookery Road, I went between 1962 - 64, and bought two 45rpm records. Shop was run by P.O. Deeley.
Below from Kelly's 1967-68.

record shop.jpg

My memory of buying records comes from when I lived in Shard End. I don't remember the actual shop, but I went there on my push bike so not a million miles away. My favourite tune was 'Foot Tapper' by the Shadows. (It still is one of my favourites). On the way back, record in hand, a drain cover leapt out at me and caused an unscheduled dismount. The Shadows selflessly intervened to prevent too much grazing on my arm, but as a result became unplayable. Nowadays I can call it up from any number of places, but then I was mortified. I saved hard for that record, and it still rankles.
Andrew.

I know a bloke much older than me :cool: who has never bought a record during his lifetime. I was gobsmacked when he told me as I could not believe anybody, and I mean anybody, who has not been moved enough by a piece of music to buy a copy to enjoy. Unbelievable.

By the way, in a former life I owned a record shop for some years in the Black Country. Had some great times but paying the rent and VAT was always a worry.

im racking my brains to think of the shop in town i got my records from...used to play many great song in my friends front room in villa st when her mom and dad were tucked up in the vine pub a bit further up the street:)...barmy on motown but the one song we used to dance crazy to was shout by lulu...no way could i keep up with that one nowadays:laughing: happy days

lyn
I got six of the best on each hand from the headmaster for listening to records at a friends house . That was due to the fact I was going out of school at lunchtime instead of staying for school dinners . After all listening to records was far more interesting , than spooning chocolate concrete and lumpy custard down , wouldn't you all agree ?

I got six of the best on each hand from the headmaster for listening to records at a friends house . That was due to the fact I was going out of school at lunchtime instead of staying for school dinners . After all listening to records was far more interesting , than spooning chocolate concrete and lumpy custard down , wouldn't you all agree ?
Very definitely! I would say however that the chocolate concrete was better (less bad) than most of the other stuff! I oft wonder who the cretin was than thought up the school dinners. Off topic but in retrospect they were really bad.

Back