• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

recommended search sites

jane k

master brummie
I`ve been offered a subscription to a search site for Christmas - does anyone have experience of `TheGenealogist.co.uk`? In particular, is it better or worse than Ancestry?
All opinions gratefully accepted.

My searches on The Genealogist site generated some very odd information. One cccupation came up as "servant maker".It should have read "saw maker". "Chadler maker" should have read "chandelier maker". I did n't follow up my free trial with further custom.
I have used Roots, and at first blush the pay as you go option looks affordable, but it is necessary to search through every sheet for a particular name. In comparison Ancestry carried out the search creatively.
You might try Free BMD and Free Cen initialy as they are worthwhile but are more limited than other sites in the information they provide. That said, Free BMD & Free Cen are quick to use and it is possible to click through to a scan of the original.
I will be using Ancestry from next month as my family have such good experience of the site. You might want to make enquires as to which sites will have the 1911 census as that will be released next year.

"You might want to make enquires as to which sites will have the 1911 census as that will be released next year."

Looks like it is going to be "Find my past"

Back