• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Reading Text

rowan

Born a Brummie
When I click on a photo/picture with text it appears to small, is there a way I can magnify the words?

I'd be grateful for help please

(I already wear glasses and had them renewed just lately!!:rolleyes:)

rowan,

If you mean that when you are looking at a web page and within that page there is an image, and that image contains text as part of it (as opposed to a subtitle which is separate from the image and is part of the rest of the page), I'm not aware of any way of expanding the picture/text. Other than saving the picture and reopening it in your graphics program which will have a zoom/expanding function.

If you are talking about text on the page and not within the picture, of course in Internet Explorer it's View/Text Size/Larger or Largest.

Does that make sense?

Chris

Hi Rowan,
If you look in the right hand bottom corner, do you a magnifying glass symbol with 100% next to it, if you do then then click on the little arrow and you should see a drop down menu with percentages, click on them in turn until you find the one to suit.
It works for me. ;)

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well.:p

I mean, if someone posts a picture on this site, as Astoness has kindly done, I am unable to read the text, it is all blurred as the text is too small.

I am obviously doing something wrong, as I see that others are able to read the text. Even if I click on the picture I still can't read the text :blush: :cry:

Sorry gang:blush::blush:

Rowan, after the pic opens, you can expand it by clicking on the bottom of it. With many pics, the cursor then changes to a '+' sign and by clicking on the pic it enlarges to maximum size.

The text on the pics you refer to is blurred due to them not being fully in contact with the scanner platen.

BTW... webpage or forum text can easily be enlarged by holding down the 'ctrl' button whilst using the mouse wheel.

Many thanks to you all for helping me :)

Icarus: Brilliant! I have now sussed it :biggrin: :D

Rowan, after the pic opens, you can expand it by clicking on the bottom of it. With many pics, the cursor then changes to a '+' sign and by clicking on the pic it enlarges to maximum size.

Icarus - I'm being a bit dim over this, but could you explain from an example, please?

If we take the latest post in this thread, #51, containing a captioned picture: https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21617
we get the thumbnail. We click on that to expand and get the bigger image. (Sometimes there is a four-way arrow in the bottom rh corner but often not, and not in this case). But then what? Clicking on the file name re-opens the second, larger image but doesn't appear to expand it any more. Are you saying one can go further? What am I missing? (I'm using XP).

Thanks

Chris

Chris, in that example... after clicking on the file name to enlarge the pic, my cursor changes to a magnifying glass and, clicking on the picture, it enlarges again. The magnifying glass does not always appear, it depends on the size/resolution of the original.

Thanks very much for the hand-holding, Icarus. There's obviously something fiendishly clever going on in your system (is it Vista, perhaps?) which doesn't work in mine (XP Pro). If I click on the file name of the expanded image, the expanded image reopens, in the top LH of the screen, in exactly the same size - but the cursor doesn't do anything. So all I can do is Save and Open in a graphics program if I want to blow it up further. I wonder if in your system, and others, there is some automatic firing up of a graphics editor when you click on the file name

I'm very happy for those who have an easier route but I wish I knew why I can't do it myself!!

Chris

I use XP also, Chris. My browser is Firefox though, maybe that's the reason?

Remember, though, the magnifying glass enlargement is dependent on the resolution of the original picture and often only increases image size fractionally. The difference really shows when pics are scanned at 300-600 dpi. :thumbsup:

edit: Just tried the same pic using the IE browser and I still get the spyglass cursor enabling further magnification. The image fills my screen.

Sorry, Chris, you were right! I was looking at your own pic instead of post 51. This one won't enlarge further due to it already being at the original scanned size.:redface:

Thanks, Icarus.

I'm wondering if rowan has found out anything different and cleverer?

I suppose that a message emerging from this is that those of us who post images containing text - captions and so on - need to post larger pictures rather than smaller. A bit tough on Keith's bandwidth, but the words do need to be legible.

Chris

Back