• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

READING in Yardley Cemetery

smallheathexplorer

master brummie
PLEASE SEE ALSO MY MESSAGES RE ADAMS AND BRADLEY FAMILIES

I have a funeral card for Marion Reading, buried in Yardley Cemetery in 1924. She was in her early thirties when she died. I have reason to believe she may have been related to either William Edward Adams or Ada Rebecca Adams (nee Bradley) who lived in Bordesley / Small Heath area at that time, possibly a sibling, niece or cousin.

If you knew Arthur Edward Reading (1922-1997), brought up by Ada Rebecca Adams (William died in 1926) please contact me.

If anyone else is researching the families mentioned, I would be very interested to hear from you.

Do you know if she was buried in a family grave if so it may be worth contacting Yardley Cemetery to see who else was buried in the grave. It may give more clues.

yes, I think she is in either the Adams or Bradley family grave. I know two others in the grave. I've never been to Yardley cemetery, so can't visulaise how it's arranged. Hadn't thought of direct contact with the cemetery as I understood it was all but closed now.

The staff at Yardley Cemetery are very helpful. Give them as much info as you have and tell them you would like to know who else is in the grave. It's a lovely cemetery to visit. I am a bit of a cemetery buff or is it boff:D. My husband says I irritate the dead and bore the living:D
We go to Yardley ocasionally as my husbands parents are buried there. Have a look at this thread there are a couple of maps there.

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9246

PLEASE SEE ALSO MY MESSAGES RE ADAMS AND BRADLEY FAMILIES

I have a funeral card for Marion Reading, buried in Yardley Cemetery in 1924. She was in her early thirties when she died. I have reason to believe she may have been related to either William Edward Adams or Ada Rebecca Adams (nee Bradley) who lived in Bordesley / Small Heath area at that time, possibly a sibling, niece or cousin.

If you knew Arthur Edward Reading (1922-1997), brought up by Ada Rebecca Adams (William died in 1926) please contact me.

If anyone else is researching the families mentioned, I would be very interested to hear from you.
My G.Grandmother Eliza Jane Reading was born Feb 1853. her parents were James Reading 1815 and Eliza Harrison 1817. Eliza Jane was born in Johnson St Aston. Is this info of any use to you .Wendy [Malta]

Thanks, Wendy, it may be very useful and I will hang onto the info, hoping that I can put the puzzle pieces together. At the moment I'm desperately trying to work out how Marion Reading fitted into the family so looking at late 19th into 20th century family members to find a trail to follow.

Marion Reading died 1924 age 32 (b.c.1892/93)

Arthur Edward Reading born 1922 mothers maiden name Biddulph

Arthur Reading married Marion Biddulph, Aston Dec 1918 ref. 6d 750

1901 census, I feel the Redding is possibly Reading.

Bell barn Road ,Edgbaston

Harriett Biddulph widow age 52
Alfred age 24 son
William age 21 son
Henrietta age 13 daughter
Marion age 8 daughter
Arthur Redding widower age 29 boarder
Arthur Redding age 7
Leonard age 5.

I want to cry! You are amazing. I have searched and searched. I was sure she was my partner's natural grandmother and so she is. Thank you so much.

Now I need to start putting the pieces of the puzzle together. Firstly, I need to establish whether there is a link between Arthur or Marion Reading (nee Biddulph) and the Adams or Bradley family. William and Ada Adams (nee Bradley) adopted Arthur Edward Reading (b1922) but, as far as we know, it was informal and so we think probably within the family.

I am so glad that I joined this site. Many, many thanks.:grouphugg04:

I have looked for a connection but have not found anything,yet ,but it is early days.

The adoption would have to have been informal as such because legal adoption did not come into force until 1927.
My father was adopted in 1924 within his family but although a solicitor drew up the agreement between the two parties it was not required to be recorded.

I think you may well end up on my Christmas card list! I have already found more relatives of Reading / Redding and Biddulph since your earlier message. This has made such a difference to my progress on this trail. And I didn't know about the adoption legislation and dates, as no adoptions in my family - this one is my partner's - so, again, many many thanks.:angel:

Thanks for all the help, Alberta. Really don't know how I'd have traced this one without you. I found the 1901 census entry and agree with you about the Reading / Redding spellings.
As for the marriage in 1918 of Marion Biddulph and Arthur Reading, the searches have been less than helpful: somehow the entry for Marion Biddulph has been transcribed as spouse Arthur Randing, place St Albans, vol 3a p750 - wrong name, wrong place, wrong volume! And it seems quite clear on the original typed record so I don't know why - maybe a tipsy transcriber!
When I cross matched (finally) there is one glitch: the original typed record for Reading and Biddulph, Aston, vol 6d p750 - Alfred Reading, not Arthur. Can you let me know where you found the details, please?
I think it would be a good idea for me to order a copy of the marriage certificate. Not only would that clarify the issue but would be a good thing for my partner to have.

I am so sorry ,it is Alfred,I must have been thinking about the son whilst typing the fathers marriage details.I always jot things down before I post and I had actually written Alfred.
I must have been carried away by the census entry which had an Arthur the same age as Marion and I was pairing them up in the future in my mind.Unless of course Arthur was Arthur Alfred

Don't worry, as you say, he may have been Alfred Arthur anyway.
I've spoken to Birmingham Registry Office and ordered the certificate online. I prefer to order over the phone but they don't have the payment facilities over the phone and it's not practical for me to drive over to get it. I'm hopeful that the certificate will provide more useful information.

Hi Smallheathexplorer,

By any chance do you have an Eleanor Jane Reading born about 1825 Birmingham
died 1901 Kings Norton in your tree
She married William Griffiths born abt 1826 Birmingham

Hilary

Hi,
My gt grandfather William Jura 1850 was the son of William & Eleanor do you know anything about his siblings Mary Ann abt 1849 & Lizzie 1857 or any other siblings I'm not aware of.

How are you related?

Thank You
Hilary

Hi Hilary ,Eleanor Jane Reading was the daughter of my 3xGtGrandfather James Reading and his wife Eleanor (nee Edge) according to the 1871 census William Griffiths (boot and shoe manufacturer) and Eleanor Jane who married in 1847 and they were Ellen 1848 Mary 1850 William 1851 and Lizzie 1858 , that's all I have . regards Jim

Sorry Hilary that should read ......... "and they had 4 children , Ellen 1848 , Mary 1850 , William 1851 and Lizzie 1858"

Hi again Hilary , Just been looking at familysearch.org and apparently there was another daughter named Amelia born @ 1851 so that makes 5 children, regards Jim

Back