• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Readability Of Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is also the point that a word can often change its meaning somewhat. If you ask a (putting on my ancient hat) young buck of today about their wireless , then they will think about the wireless network, not a Bakelite box full of valves

A little well known tip ...
If you want to continue using the forum's default style, you can make the text etc larger (more readable) on a forum page by

Holding the CTRL key down and tapping the + key .... it enlarges the contents of the page for each tap.

to return to small text

Hold the CTRL key down and tap the - key ... it reduces the page contents ...

I usually run the BHF on my laptop at 125% but 150% looks very readable.

Your computer should remember the setting for whichever websites you set the above controls.

Perhaps also worth a mention that CTRL and 0 (zero) returns the page to 100%

I was never much use at spelling at school but think I am much better now. It is just that my fingers don't always hit the right keys. Knowing this I have taken a very relaxed attitude to how people write on this forum. I say that I never really understood English grammar until I had to learn Latin grammar.

However, one thing that does annoy me when I hear people speak is when they say 'I' when they should say 'me'. There is an advert running on TV where they talk about 'PPI mis-sold to you or I'. This should be 'mis-sold to you or me'. An easy way of getting it right that I was taught at school is to look at these two sentences 'John and I went to the pub' 'Bill came to the pub with John and me'. Now if you take out the 'John and' the sentences are still right but if you then swop the 'I' and 'me' round they are obviously wrong.

I`ve never really understood the need for Latin, except maybe for deciphering ancient text? When it comes to grammar, i simply write my message into a speller&grammar checker & let it sort out my mistakes. At Slade road secondary modern, we never had Latin lessons, although we did learn to sing "Oh come all ye faithful" in Latin,& Silent night in German.

Confusion may sometimes arise when two words are either spaced apart or the same two words used together as one word, e.g. "pull over" or "pullover". There was the case of a police officer driving up the M1 when he noticed that a car ahead was meandering in and out of lanes. The police car drove up alongside and the officer was amazed to see a lady-driver knitting as she was driving. The officer drew down his window and shouted out "Pull Over"! The lady driver, whose window was already down, shouted back, "No luv, it's not going to be a pullover, I'm knitting some socks for me 'usband" Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back