• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vale Street parish of St Judes

sheri

master brummie
Hi everyone, can anyone tell me where Vale St. in the parish of St Judes was in 1841/51 - this is where my gt.gt.g/father lived and had his blacksmiths - I thin k they lived on the property. Is Vale St. still there?
Many thanks,
Sheri

attached is map 1839 showing Vale St. It disappeared under New ST station.
mike

vale_st_1839_map~0.JPG

Hi Mikejee, thank you very much for the map - I can see how close families lived and worked to each other. Under New St station!! Perhaps they had to move when the railway came?
Sheri

Hi Sheri
There seems to be no blacksmith listed in the 1849 or 1855 directories in Vale St. what was his name ?
mike

My Father went to Sunday School at St Judes Church and was given a medal with the words "Never Absent Never Late By The Rules of the School", on it, it was made of copper or a similar metal circa 1892, i saw it at my home until i married in 1953 i don`t know what happened to it later. Len.

Sheri
Back to the right thread. In the 1849 directory the only John Blackham listed is a coach harness furniture plater at court 16, Hanley St with home at 103 Barr St West. there are also two joseph blackhams listed in that directory. In 1855 john blackham is listed as a coach harness plater at 2 court Hanley St, Hanley st is off Summer Lane
Mike

Hi Shera, Yes thank you - silly me!!

Len - it's a shame when these things go missing - like my g.fathers medals.

Mike, thank you but I have that John Blackham written down somewhere - my John (my gt. uncle - Henry was my g.father) had moved from Vale St to New Inkleys by 1861 where he was a manufacturer Brass Founder Iron Works - by 1871 he was at Holloway Head a plated head nail maker - employing 9 men, 3 boys and 6 girls. Perhaps they moved from Vale St. to make room for New St. Station.

Thank you all for your help
Sheri

Back