• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grove House Handsworth

Maria V S Quinn

Brummie babby
Thanks to Vivienne 14 re information on above.
William Bratt ( 1747-1838) of Grove House was my Great grandfather x 5. His wife was Kitty Aston(1751-1846). I've been tracing my ancestry (on Ancestry) and am wondering if anyone can provide more information, especially re Thomas or John Spencer of Handsworth / Ley Hall - early / late 1800 or the Aston / Asten family. My great great grandfather, Charles Spencer was born in Handsworth (or possibly Shenstone) and moved to Northallerton Yorkshire. His son, Charles William relocated eventually to Richmond, Yorkshire.

On a completely different note, I notice that an old friend and colleague of mine Hilary Rimmer (probably retired now) held a post at Birmingham University. Would be lovely to be in touch with her. Thanks

You may have already seen...

There's a baptism for Charles Spencer 30 Jan 1805 at St Mary's, Handsworth son of John & Elizabeth. Sister Elizabeth Caroline baptised the same time.

Thomas & John married sisters ?, Elizabeth & Hannah Bratt.

Thank-
You may have already seen...

There's a baptism for Charles Spencer 30 Jan 1805 at St Mary's, Handsworth son of John & Elizabeth. Sister Elizabeth Caroline baptised the same time.

Thomas & John married sisters ?, Elizabeth & Hannah Bratt.

you v much. Did have the baptism info. But solved a puzzle re the couples. This rings true.

Hello, I am new to this site.
Do you mean 245 Grove Lane, Handsworth? I worked there from 1971 to 1981 when it was the trade association for the Drop forgers and stampers. I am keen for any other info at that time or previous. It is sad that now I have been told the funeral home has closed and it is an empty house with rubbish being placed there and will be a house of multiple occupants so sad. I loved the 10 years I worked there it changed my life.

Do you mean 245 Grove Lane, Handsworth? I worked there from 1971 to 1981 when it was the trade association for the Drop forgers and stampers. I am keen for any other info at that time or previous. It is sad that now I have been told the funeral home has closed and it is an empty house with rubbish being placed there and will be a house of multiple occupants so sad. I loved the 10 years I worked there it changed my life.
hi esg66 i would think grove house would be a totally different building to 245 grove lane

lyn

Last edited:
Definitely not the same place.
See here for Grove House

Thanks to Vivienne 14 re information on above.
William Bratt ( 1747-1838) of Grove House was my Great grandfather x 5. His wife was Kitty Aston(1751-1846). I've been tracing my ancestry (on Ancestry) and am wondering if anyone can provide more information, especially re Thomas or John Spencer of Handsworth / Ley Hall - early / late 1800 or the Aston / Asten family. My great great grandfather, Charles Spencer was born in Handsworth (or possibly Shenstone) and moved to Northallerton Yorkshire. His son, Charles William relocated eventually to Richmond, Yorkshire.

On a completely different note, I notice that an old friend and colleague of mine Hilary Rimmer (probably retired now) held a post at Birmingham University. Would be lovely to be in touch with her. Thanks
HI Maria
I’ve sent a post in another thread/directly to you about a connection about two hours ago. But in short, I’m also descended from William Bratt (Grove House, later called Park House. Pictures of the house can be found by googling the threads “Grove House”) and John Spencer. As you outlined, the John Spencer you refer to was married to Elizabeth (nee Bratt, the daughter of William Bratt and Kitty (nee Aston). I believe John Spencer and Elizabeth (nee Bratt) had 11 children: William, Catherine (Married a Thomas Pitt, two sons called Thomas Spencer Pitt and Henry Spencer Pitt), Elizabeth (my ancestor, married George Holtham Harrisd), Caroline (married her cousin, Charles Botterill Hawkins, who migrated to Australia), John, Charles, Thomas, Henry, Edward, Jane (died 1815), Isaac (mother died, presumably in child birth). Elizabeth Winifred nee Spencer (married name, Harris) had three children: George Spencer Harris (died aged 3); John Spencer Harris and William Henry Harris who were born at Lea Hall, Perry Barr. I’m descended from John Spencer Harris. He and his brother William Henry were orphaned young and their Uncle William Bratt Spencer was the legal guardian for the boys. I believe there may have been a legal fight in 1836 over the guardianship of the boys and their estate. There are pictures of Ley or Lea Hall, Perry Barr, owned by John Spencer which you can google.

HI Maria
I’ve sent a post in another thread/directly to you about a connection about two hours ago. But in short, I’m also descended from William Bratt (Grove House, later called Park House. Pictures of the house can be found by googling the threads “Grove House”) and John Spencer. As you outlined, the John Spencer you refer to was married to Elizabeth (nee Bratt, the daughter of William Bratt and Kitty (nee Aston). I believe John Spencer and Elizabeth (nee Bratt) had 11 children: William, Catherine (Married a Thomas Pitt, two sons called Thomas Spencer Pitt and Henry Spencer Pitt), Elizabeth (my ancestor, married George Holtham Harrisd), Caroline (married her cousin, Charles Botterill Hawkins, who migrated to Australia), John, Charles, Thomas, Henry, Edward, Jane (died 1815), Isaac (mother died, presumably in child birth). Elizabeth Winifred nee Spencer (married name, Harris) had three children: George Spencer Harris (died aged 3); John Spencer Harris and William Henry Harris who were born at Lea Hall, Perry Barr. I’m descended from John Spencer Harris. He and his brother William Henry were orphaned young and their Uncle William Bratt Spencer was the legal guardian for the boys. I believe there may have been a legal fight in 1836 over the guardianship of the boys and their estate. There are pictures of Ley or Lea Hall, Perry Barr, owned by John Spencer which you can google.
HI Maria, Thomas Spencer (son of John Spencer and Elizabeth Bratt) died in Adelaide, South Australia in 1877.

Thanks very much to BellaOz for your information re Spencer antecedents - some I knew; some new. Yes have seen pics of Lea Hall and Grove House. Trying to get more info about the Astons and Bratts and Spencers but not easy. Think there might be a Spencer link with Shenstone, a village to north of Birmingham. There seems ??? to be a possibility of a link with the Spencer baronets of Wormleighton - a 'story' in the family. And that wealth / status was somehow lost. My grandfather was christened and appears on censuses as Sir William Spencer (1877-1955). A clue?? Odd.
Know a bit about the Harris link. A great uncle called Harris Hawkins Spencer. Born Richmond Yorkshire. Use Ancestry to research. All the best from Durham England.

Definitely not the same place.
See here for Grove House
Thanks to pjmburns for info re Mrs Bratt and Grove House. I love dogs too. Must be inherited...

Still keen to hear about 245 Grove Lane, close to oxhill road was taken over by scotts furneral directors but now empty. Any news or pictures would be appreciated.

Still keen to hear about 245 Grove Lane, close to oxhill road was taken over by scotts furneral directors but now empty. Any news or pictures would be appreciated.
There's something here from the British Newspaper Archive in 1956 (I can't open the link as I don't subscribe)....

DROP FORGERS & STAMPERS GROVE HILL HOUSE, 245, GROVE LANE. HANDSWORTH, BIRMINGHAM 20 A EVERY YOUNG CHAP CAN If PROUD , y. OF For a job with first-class prospects and pay, vital to the production of motor-cars, ships, aircraft, jet For full detail! turbines ...
Published: Tuesday 26 June 1956
Newspaper: Birmingham Daily Gazette
County: Warwickshire, England
Type: Illustrated | Words: 78 | Page: 12 | Tags: none

Here is the relevant advert. There are in all 105 hits on Grove hill house. At a glance most seem to be about the association of drop forgers, or concerning the school that was there in the late 19th century

Birm Gaz. 26.6.1956.jpg

Back